Ground Isolation

You didn't mention ferrite in that post :-)

Assuming you want to connect ground planes with it:

There isn't all that much to choose. First it needs to support the maximum current you expect across that connection. Now it won't blow up if you exceed that by 50% but the ferrite can saturate and then lose it's performance until the current comes back down.

Next, you can see in the datasheets of ferrite beads which on is better for which frequency range. For that you have to know the frequency spectrum of the noise that bothers you.

But as mentioned before this ground-split strategy is usually not such a great approach. If you connect the split grounds at one point using a ferrite bead or inductor, things can get ugly to the point where components actually die. In particular any parts that cross the planes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

te:

rote:

ins

he

ns, but it

things worse.

al

e out what

Errr, Say I've got a 100uH torroid and then a 100uF Al electro cap as an input filter on the power lines going into a low noise preamp. Power is feed from a switching supply +\-15V at 2/1 amp.

Am I in trouble?

Inside the box is a 2 ohm resistor that is the sense element for a current limit...a bipolar turns off a FET if the voltage drop is greater than 0.6 or so...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

but it

worse.

But the size of the bang isn't proportional to volts, rather energy.

They looked like a slo-mo flash bulb. Like I said, it only happened once and we never found the cause (it was during manufacturing final test, so something was likely miswired).

Reply to
krw

but it

worse.

Belt & suspenders: you could add an R and a diode.

  • ---+---[L]---+-------+---------------------------o o | | | "pesky power switch" > \ --- | | o /_\ [100uF] [R] | | | | [Load] | | | | Gnd --+---------+-------+-----------------------------+

RE: "Am I in trouble?" We all are - Murphy prevails. :-(

Fortunately, Joerg can provide the correct sound effects. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

but it

worse.

Depends on how fast power is turned on and off. Off is usually slow because caps are being depleted. But if it came on in, say, 200usec you'd see overshoot and then ringing up to 25V. Most likely you'll hear some popcorn noises from inside and that could be followed by a wee "amperage scent". Possibly also some anatomical changes in the opamps, such as little craters :-)

With 2ohms it'll probably be ok but ... you have to watch out for the spike on the FET in case it "snaps" off within a few microseconds. If the resistor were an ohm or less you'd see a few volts of overshoot when it turns back on, the lower the resistor the higher that overshoot.

If your email address is valid and you know your way around LTSpice I can send you a sim file.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

but it

worse.

Yup, but usually more volts leads to more energy of the destructive kind. I had this happen at 900V when I was a kid and that made a large blob of molten metal, some of it hissing out of the box. Then the

230V/16A breaker came, and dad was not enthused at all because he was watching soccer. [...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote:

The way GM has shed divisions, you might think that. Oldsmobile: April 29, 2004 Pontiac: November 2, 2010

In China (an emerging market, in case I have to point that out), Buicks are very popular, however.

Reply to
JeffM

but it

worse.

My point is that an inductor can only store what the supply will give it. Low-power supplies => small "phuts".

Reply to
krw

rote:

pins

the

pins, but it

e things worse.

MI

ge

real

ure out what

Wow, Thanks Joerg, email is gherold@teachspin(dot)com

I've been playing around with LTspice on and off for a year or three. Previously I was using 'electronics workbench'...

Perhaps I should monitor the power lines while I open and close the various power supply connections.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

but it

things worse.

what

I had briefly tried EWB at a company but find LTSpice better, and it's the standard nowadays. This sim is just a few parts, should be in your email box now.

That, too, but most of all your load because that's what would more likely die.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

but it

things worse.

True, but a small phut often triggers a latch-up or some other more nasty effect, the power rail has plenty of available amps or the reserves of a large electrolytic ... *BANG*

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Many people over here like them as well. A friend who drive a Ford truck has a Buick Regal as a passenger car, wouldn't want to have any other one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

pins, but it

things worse.

That's the point. Our entire system is less than 12W (and that's twice what I'd like it to be). There isn't any *BANG* available in the entire thing. A small *phut* is all that's available. ;-)

Reply to
krw

pins

pins, but it

things worse.

How many uF is the electrolytic in there? And what's its ESR?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

pins

the

pins, but it

things worse.

A lot of little tantalums. No aluminum (until recently they have had crappy reflow profiles). Sure they go bang it stuffed backwards, but so does a Black Cat; no harm done (unless there is some real power behind them).

Reply to
krw

nd pins

to the

r pins, but it

ake things worse.

nd

rn

EMI

arge

e real

igure out what

as

en

EWB was very limited.. well I had a student copy that someone gave me for free. I switched to LT spice, soon after finding SED.

" That, too, but most of all your load because that's what would more likely die."

Yeah I thought of yanking the power lines under full load. (only ~0.2

-0.3 Amps)

More later if 'bad' thing appear.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

pins

the

pins, but it

things worse.

real

out what

EWB was crap, and their marketing was less than honest.

John