Google Offers a Million Bucks For a Better Inverter

There was no second prize.

Estimated average $3K per engineering man-year expended.

It's not easy to figure out the priorities of the judges, based on published statements.

The fact that interconnection hardware consumed nearly as much volume as the conversion hardware in the winning product suggests that maybe the emphasis was slightly misguided.

RL

Reply to
legg

Bob Engelhardt

Actual photos of 'effy' (with its fixed connector harnessing) and CE&T's comments re remuneration for competitors efforts are no longer present in the CE&T's blog.......

RL

Reply to
legg

One has snuck through.....

RL

Reply to
legg

and the others

legg

Hi,

The inverter is shown in this pdf too with connectors:

The half bridges generating split phase AC and neutral is a good design, I did the same type of design on a 3.6kW splitphase inverter design, MUCH larger design though, and I didn't have an active halfbridge for dealing with output noise, I think they needed that due to such small output passive filtering.

With the right controller you could parallel these inverters to generate more independent AC rails, ie good for 3phase+ variable frequency drives or whatever, or parallel them for more power with splitphase I guess.

If they mass produce these as modules to be wired in parallel that might be a lot more economical than building bigger inverters.

They really kicked butt!

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Google just joined the opencompute project:

It would be nice if that new inverter is released as open source hardware as part of that opencompute project, but I doubt it will be, really Google should be releasing all of their technology as open source, ie the humanoid robot CAD files, all AI software, and search engine software as well as all their databases. Instead of doing this, Google profits from using people's information, and I can't see how it is in the public's best interest how Google operates unless their technology and information are open.

Schmidt is working with the department of defense, making humanoid robots, giving Schmidt eating grins while beating the best go players in the world with google AI, and giving quotes like:

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place"

"The Google policy is to get right up to the creepy line and not cross it"

Sources:

Schmidt eating grin beside humble world champion go player:

Schmidt quotes about privacy:

Schmidt working with Department of Defense:

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

I don't see how it's in the public's best interest to seize the property of any corporation (without due process, of course).

Perhaps you shouldn't be doing it in public, anyway.

You don't have to use their "products".

Reply to
krw

Yes, it would be nice, but it's not very realistic. I studied their design documents, and I have to say it's a miracle of materials science.

As an experienced analog / power engineer, it's my impression that for sophisticated projects, simple schematics and parts lists are generally NOT very usable, there's so much more behind the scenes to complete the design. In part that's what makes most open-source hardware so poor.

For the winning SBC, this issue was especially true, e.g., their material stackup is extremely impressive and rather hard for an ordinary EE to understand.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

.....and without actual test method and results, you don't even know how it, or its competitors, will perform - or even have some clue as to reasoning behind the selection of finalists.

RL

Reply to
legg

I think you have it backwards, "we" humans are the product that google sells, more specifically our information, and more generally freedom.

Avoiding being a product of google is less simple than avoiding using their software/websites etc.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Well let's travel back in time to 1901 and play with mercury switches and small motors.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 05:43:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Both are still in use, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You're wrong. I do understand. That's why I used the scare quotes around ""products"". You still don't have to use Google sites. If you bitch is about ads, give up your computer. No one is forcing you to use it.

It sure starts there. Again, throw your computer away. You can't handle the experience.

Reply to
krw

Hi,

Getting right up to the creepy line and crossing it is Google driving their camera cars looking up people's driveways and posting the images on the internet. Whether I use a computer or not is irrelevant if Google does that among many other things.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

They're not going anywhere that anyone else couldn't go. You have no privacy, particularly in public places. Get real!

Reply to
krw

Your mother must be proud of you.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

sean.c4s.vn

Information about us is what google sells. It is about us collectively, rather than specific information about named individuals, so Jamie's extension from "information" to "freedom" is just Jamie being as moronic as ever.

Probably true, but how would Jamie know?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 07:22:49 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Your lack of qualifications to make a valid assessment about a person are as bad as your lack of qualifications to be mouthing off about electrical or electronic components.