Re: Goggle offers $10 million rewards for any new idea put in writing

> > With the extremely creative people in sci.physics from Porat snake in > the nucleus that supports the electrons to Greysky superluminal > radio. Maybe you guys could cook up a more down to earth idea > as detailed in the above site and get some of the $10 reward. > Deadline is October 20, 2008. If we all work together, we may > even split the money and get $100,000 each or so (depending > on the active participants). I suggest Uncle Al would be the team > leader since he is the father of all genius here.

Actually, you don't get the money, it's to fund development of the idea. It's basically free venture capital.

I totally agree that this would be a nice killer project for all the big-mouth 'brains" here. And Uncle Al very definitely should be "team leader" because

  1. He's a walking compendium of all facts in the universe.
  2. He's called everyone a "moron" [including me] and deserves a chance to show us what he can do.
  3. He is the self-appointed judge of all new ideas on USENET.

First let's think a bit about this contest.

  1. It supposed to be ideas to make a "better world", so in spite of population problems let's agree that ideas for better ways to kill people will be out.
  2. Ideas that have already been thought of and tried in the past [like say using wind power to pump water for cows] are out.
  3. Pure science (like snake model of the nucleus) which may eventually prove to have great applications, should be out unless it can be shown that those applications actually exist now. We want something ready for the venture capital development stage, not money for basic research like building a Hadron Collider.
  4. Vague crap from "idea men" are out. For example: Saying "It's a self-starter for a car! You turn the key and the car starts" is NOT an "idea". You'd have to say, "Lets build a car self-starter using an electric motor to turn the engine powered from a storage battery that is charged while the engine runs."
  5. Great ideas with no science to back them up are also out. No "ideas" of the form: "It's a free-energy unit for a home. It's a cube
1.5 feet on each side that sits in the basement, takes no maintenance for 100 years and puts out up to 200 amps at 220 volts AC forever to power the house." You have to say HOW it does these things.
  1. Should be an idea with as large an impact on the world as possible, but doesn't have to be complex. The internet has had a huge impact, but then so has the xerox machine both in the area of information dissemination. Even something very simple like Velcro can be said to have a large impact. Thus the idea should solve some kind of universal problem of mankind.
  2. Solutions to imaginary politically-driven problems are out as well. Thus, ideas with a political side to them, such as a better way to reduce the "carbon footprint" of this or that, don't count because CO2 doesn't cause global warming. OR a better way to implement "gun control" since there is no established relationship between the private ownership of firearms and crime rates. Political assertions don't count.

So, Uncle AL, what does that leave us? We need to think about large serious universal problems of humanity as a whole. Clearly the fact that eventually Oil and even other fossil fuels will run out is a problem facing us all. What kind of solution could benefit from 10 meg of development there? OR what about the massive problems developing over pollution. No, not "carbon footprints", but REAL pollution like all the Poo washed down to sea from billions of people or all the nasty crap from burning coal to make electricity. And I'm sure there are more problems.

So lets start by thinking about a list of PROBLEMS facing mankind now and then we can use that to pick one that seems like it has a doable solution. And then kick it around from there.

So Uncle Al, waddaya think?

Reply to
Benj

Absolutely right.

from

Q: What do I get if my idea is chosen? A: You get good karma and the satisfaction of knowing that your idea might truly help a lot of people.

Implementing the ideas

Q. How will Google implement these ideas? Once we've selected up to five ideas for funding, we will begin an RFP process to identify the organization(s) and proposals that are in the best position to help implement the selected ideas.

Q: I know an organization that I believe can implement my idea if it is selected. What should I do? The submission form includes a field where you can recommend an organization to implement your idea. If your idea is selected for funding, we will contact this organization when we begin the selection process for the implementation phase. Please note that this does not guarantee that they will be chosen to implement the idea.

snip

For starters:

Food shortages Clean water shortages Energy shortages Make medicine cheaper Pollution reduction Jobs Housing Health care

I proposed a Fischer-Tropsch synthetic fuel plant.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Develop Soilent Green? :-)

Oh my yes! A low energy desalination plant process would be a Monster world-saver!

This is a major problem but short of a free-energy machine there seem to have been no successful ideas beyond those which are already in use to a degree. Anybody notice something that has been overlooked to now? Modern civilization runs on the energy used to amplify the natural power of man's [and animal] muscles to do work. Some major source of free-energy would be a world-changer for the acceleration of civilization! Alternatively, increasing gas mileage or reducing energy required to do common jobs (lighting etc.) has a similar effect for a while and puts off the inevitable for a while longer.

OF course this is one tends to be a political rather than a technology problem. Multi-million dollar scanners may be expensive, but when each little community hospital decides they have to have one too, it really starts to impact the cost of medicine!

Yep lots of important things need done there. Hint: dumping pollution into the ocean is a BAD idea. It is the bottom of the food-chain and if you mess it up there...well, it is not good for any of us. One chemist smirkily told me once: "The solution to pollution is dilution!" What a jerk. Go tell it to the dead fish.

Reply to
Benj

I'm not sure what you mean. Aren't they a band?

Yep... especially since membrane tech seems to have replaced flash distillation nowadays

I like the idea of using agricultural waste (corn cobs, coconut shells, etc.) for energy. Plants went to a LOT of trouble to grab CO2 from the air and hydrogenate it (with little capital expenditure, I must add); it seems like such a waste to not harness that effort somehow. Each Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (RuBisCO) enzyme can only process about 3 CO2 molecules per second, according to Wikipedia.

I was thinking more along the lines of medicine in third-world countries. Breaks your heart to see people dying of treatable diseases because they can't afford $15 or so for their meds.

Solution to pollution... one of my chemical engineering profs said the same thing. Not sure if he was joking or what.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

ml

-------------------- before storing energy you have to produce it right ? big and cheap and safe

if you know better the structure of matter and nucleus you can make better energy production- for instance by cheap efficient Fusion!!

and tell the people that say (based on your nuclear model --) the Tokamak will never do it (so save their money and precious time) it must be by particle *counter **circulated ** acceleration*

the LHC is a good chance to test it as a start !!

TIA Y.Porat

-------------------------

Reply to
Y.Porat

html

in

---------------------- now another vert practical contribution of my model and findings following it is: telling physicists that : for instance:

The 'Higges Bosons' are a huge waist of time and human resources !

and instead the 'Circlon' should be looked after !!

ATB Y.Porat

Reply to
Y.Porat