Google Groups Alternative

I remember some years ago when one could configue an email program like Outlook or Outlook express for newsgroups. you needed to put in some numbers for an NNTP server or someting like that.

Any idea if that's still possible ? I can't see paying one of those websites for it, because the people who make Usenet happen don't get that money do they ? Plus, these days I am on a low budget....

Reply to
jurb6006

Who is your internet provider, and do they have NNTP servers?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

google "free NNTP servers"

Reply to
Artem

I access USENET using Tbird and one of the "free" NNTP servers (AIOE in my case). No reason you shouldn't be able to do the same!

If you have a "shell" account on a local server, you can probably go *that* route as well -- trn(1), etc. -- though I find the Tbird approach easier for casual browsing.

Reply to
Don Y

Check out eternal-september.org. You can get a free Usenet account and use it with a free newsreader, e.g. Thunderbird.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

On a sunny day (Fri, 03 Jan 2014 20:18:25 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

In about 1998 I wrote a Free Agent clone called 'Secret Agent', later renamed 'NewsFlex'

because there was no Free Agent for Linux.

Been using it ever since.

nntp.aioe.org works. several other ones you have to register and work too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

freenews.netfront.net

It is free and works with my MesNews app on my Win XP and Win 7 PCs.

OldGuy

eternal-September also carries the binary a.b.s.e group. But not all posts propagate to it.

Martin Riddle

Many ISPs provide free NNTP service, you may contact them for more information. If they don't offer it, or you find it lacking, you can find another. I paid a small one-time fee for 50gb (plenty of bandwidth for text-based) from . The site appears to be down at the moment. There are few such sites.

Reply to
Daniel Pitts

yes.

giganews.com, newsfront.com, individual.net and the others are making usenet happen, but to a lesser extents so are the free servers like aioe.net.

ICANN gets a cut of the domain registration fees. AIUI IETF is not paid, and there is no controlling body for usenet.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

AIOE is fine. I don't think I even had to register. I've been trying a few news readers and have settled on knode.

The problem I had with Tbunderbird is it didn't always wrap the other persons post and then AIOE would reject the post for exceeding their line width limit.

Knode at least warns you when you exceed the line width, as in the case of the link above. But AIOE doesn't seem to mind long links, just text.

Reply to
miso

That's the combination I use. It works well for me.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

There are too many flakes, trolls and otherwise undesirables that post using aioe.org. I've created a filter so that I see nothing coming from it, no matter who the poster is.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Not sure what you mean by "the people who make Usenet happen." There is no overarching Usenet server - it's a distributed network. Usenet consists entirely of the collection of NNTP servers, which cost money to provide.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Historically, USENET was just "spare MIPS" running on servers maintained at universities, etc.

Yes, it consumes disk space and network bandwidth. But, ORDERS OF MAGNITUDES less than HTTP! (assuming you omit the

*.binaries.* groups)
Reply to
Don Y

Who in their right mind would want anything other than Google Groups? It works just fine, now if only the people with antiquated inferior news readers could get with the program...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:27:35 +1100, Sylvia Else Gave us:

Which used to be just another part of being a respectable service provider, and was just part of their CODB.

Nowadays, the govt and other pussified factions have conspired to end Usenet, so we see more and more nodes evaporating, especially among larger ISPs. Blame the retarded phone companies for horning in on the access, and then dumping the services we once enjoyed. The ops and maint is pennies compared to what the bastards drag in.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't believe registration is required. AFAICT, you can change your "address" at will (though your IP is tagged to your posts)

Yup. AIOE also limits number of groups to which you can post a particular message. Reasonable -- esp in light of folks who want to plaster their messages across every group they know of! (regardless of content/charter)

I will either insert newlines in these offending posts -- or, clip them at some insanely short line length (if you can't take the time to format your post, you shouldn't complain when someone "abbreviates" it!)

I much enjoy being able to work offline without being tethered to the news server as I fetch, read, reply to each message.

Sun got it wrong; the network is NOT the computer!

Reply to
Don Y

Due to google's broken line wrap I line wrap, I agree with what I saw.

it works, just.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

OK, so you don't mind us talking about you then. ;-)

Reply to
miso