Good ZigBee Dev Starter Kit Recommendation Help

Greetings, I am looking to get started developing a short range low power device that will consist of a controller and a device with a motor and sensors. I would like to use ZigBee as the wireless technology solution to connect the controller to the device. It meets the price point and range that I need and the potential for mesh networking opens other future opportunities.

I am curious if anyone can recommend an affordable entry into ZigBee development. Ideally I am looking for 2 ZigBee boards (Controller and Motor/Sensors) and the option of using a desktop computer as another node on the network. Ideally I would like some sort of system on a chip so I don't need to source another MCU, but I do need some sort of A/D, D/A functionality, ideally something with PWM built in to support controlling motor speed. I am not too picky at the moment about the underlying MCU (Freescale, AVR, whatever), a nice software stack for C compiling and flashing the boards would be a very nice plus because who likes fighting software when all you want to do is build something.

If anyone has any opinions as to what is a good starter kit, or an inexpensive entry point into developing this kind of system I would very much appreciate hearing all about it. I have been looking around and see there are a variety of options but I am curious to hear about peoples actual use experiences with various solutions.

Thank you for your help, it really is appreciated!

Regards,

Gadi

Reply to
Gadi

For inexpensive and turnkey, I think you will be hard pressed to find something better than the Microchip MRF24J40MA. - each module is type approved, $9 in single-piece quantity and it is ready to drop into your circuit. Relatively simple to use and Microchip make their stack source available free. It will not directly bolt onto a PC, but it is not a difficult matter to make a serial-interfaced bridge. Take three free sample PICs from Microchip's website and you're there with three nodes for a total cost of $40 (plus some glue

- battery holder, caps, etc).

Reply to
larwe

For $99, you get it all from Atmel.

Free zigbee stack to boot, with no royalties.

Reply to
Rumpelstiltskin

You have to be careful about those "free" zigbee stacks. Most of them are not fully zigbee compliant, but are proprietary 'zigbee-like' stacks that they provide royalty free. I know that there is one company that has a $500 development kit that does include a fully compliant stack for their modules. Have looked at it for a couple of ideas, but haven't gotten them to the front burner yet.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.