Viewsonic 28" Monitor Dark

Expensive but worth it for a while until it went dark. VX2835WM

So ... before I destroy it by poking around inside. What might it be? Where can I find a schematic? Is there a typical failure?

I have a scope and meters.

Suggestions and discussion would be helpful to get me in the right mood. lol

And if it is a capacitor that went bad should I expect any visible signs? Probably unlike the radio I had that had a bad cap, I struck it a few times and got a indication that it was in need of replacement. That was all it took. Here's hoping similar for the monitor.

Reply to
BeeJ

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:39:05 -0700, BeeJ put finger to keyboard and composed:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

By "dark" do you mean NO image, or a faint image when you hold a flashlight beam on the screen at an angle when the screen *should* be displaying an image? These point to different failures, in signal processing or backlighting respectively.

There is a VERY active/useful forum with resident gurus whose life seems to revolve around repairing monitors:

You need to join, but there is no downside to that. Join, post there, and they will almost certainly steer you through the repair process.

The fact that you have meters and a scope (and I am presuming the obvious - that you are familiar with their use) will stand you in good stead. Mention that in your initial post to the forum.

Reply to
who where