Gerbv-2.0.1 for Windows released -- was: Re: Gerbv-2.0.0 released!

In article you wrote: : Stuart Brorson wrote: :> Hello! :> :> This is to announce the release of gerbv-2.0.0! Gerbv is an open source :> Gerber file (RS-274X only) viewer ..... :> For more information, browse to gerbv's web site: :> :>

[...]

: Is there a version for Windoz?

Hello again!

By popular demand, one of our team put together a Windows ready gerbv installer. It should represent a self-contained Windows version of our latest gerbv release, gerbv-2.0.1. Windows users can grab the release from gerbv's SourceForge download site here:

The file to grab is called gerbvinst-2.0.1.exe.

Cheers,

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Brorson

I tried using this and it crashes when I try to open a Gerber or XYRS file. Is there a forum for support?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

gerbv uses the geda-user mailing list:

DJ Delorie

I found it and have exchanged a few posts. It seems the Windows port is *very* new and not ready for prime time. I sent some Gerber files off to a volunteer so he could try isolating the problem.

I like some things about gerbv and am not sure of others. Once I loaded my top side gerber file the refresh rate got really slow. In FreePCB the zoom is virtually real time as you roll the scroll wheel. Each click of the wheel in gerbv is 2 second and this is not an over complex board... although I have used flood fill. The refresh time also goes up with more layers. Maybe this is a Windows only issue and will improve as the graphics code is optimized for Windows.

Reply to
rickman

Try reducing the quality setting in gerbv. At max quality, it really needs a graphics card and library that can do the shading it needs in a reasonable time. I have a Fedora core duo with an nvidia 7950 and it's still not fast enough to render in a reasonable time, but other people with other configurations find it to be speedy.

Reply to
DJ Delorie