frequency standard from color TV signal?

My version was actually a rework of a TV-derived unit I had built earlier, which used 7812.5 Hz as the ref from the 10MHz xtal (half PAL line). Replaced the divider chain and threw out the sync separator in favour of the 10k from the Jupiter, and it ran straight off. It was only later I saw Miller's unit, and learned that I had reinvented yet another wheel.

They (Jupiters) pop up from time to time on ebay.

Since the Rockwell->Conexant->Navman transfer, the Navman people have gone Sirf and lost the 10k in the process.

There's a fair bit of doco out there on "Jupiter GPS".

Reply to
rebel

Put this together with what Tom says, and you can get 3.579545454 * 88 / 315 =1 MHz, exactly. At one time it was claimed that on live network programs the frequency accuracy of the color burst was on the order of 10E-11. What you do is to divide the color burst frequency by 315, and then multiply it by 88 in a 1 MHz crystal controlled phase locked loop. Only problem with this is that it is goiung away in 2009.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

I'm familiar with the frequency conversion but as a former NTSC TV broadcast engineer, I've seen a framestore at every transmitter site since the late '80s. That reduces your accuracy to roughly 10 MHz, +/-

27.93 Hz.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can't remember exactly, but I think the article I was referring to was probably from the early or mid 80s. So much for progress.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

The color burst was never intended to be used as an external frequency standard. OTOH, the framestore/proc amp cleaned and stabilized the video before transmission, and did improve picture quality.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

1 pps may well be way to slow to be useful. Sure it will eventually get there, maybe in days. Only 86,400 ticks in a whole 24 hour day. Sure you can use deltas etc., but the result "real"?
--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Richard Henry wrote in news:1176828772.265733.52460 @b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

That is if you want accurate clock time.

For just an accurate frequency reference, you only need receive a signal soerced from a cesium beam reference

Reply to
Gary Tait