Formula for minimum drive current for mosfet

How fast (rise/fall) do you need to switch?

John

Check out the data sheet. Figure 7 shows the typical gate charge required to get the gate voltage up to a level where the part is turned on - something like 10nC. The worst case total gate charge listed earlier in the data sheet is 24uC.

20mA s going to take 1.2usec to deliver that 24uC of charge - this is slow switching by MOSFET standards, and you won't want to switch that slowly very often, because if you do there is a real risk that the switch will overheat.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Whats the formula?

I = 1/2*F*Q*V?

Trying to figure out if I can drive

with a uC directly? (I think it can supply up to 20mA or so)

V = 12V if I use pullup and 5V if not.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

That thing looks like a cross conduction hazard and half at that switching speed, both FETs come on at less than 2V from their source rails, wonder if he's tying the gates together, definitely would want to switch as fast as possible then...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Why is slower going to going to cause it to heat up? Its less current so less heat (same amount of charge). In fact it probably would be better because its spread out over time. (like, say, charging a battery at 1A for 1 year compared to 365A in one day. Same amount of charge but totally diffrent results)

My switching is at most 100khz(its for motor control so anything about 20khz should be ok but I'm going for about 50khz). I figure I need about 5 to 10 times this but really it shouldn't be that important(don't need it to be exact).

Really though, Can you explain to me why a slower switching speed will cause it to heat up more? It contradict's everything I know about transister switches and switching speed.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

The uC is not what will heat up, although at 100 kHz it could get a little warm. But the MOSFET will dissipate power during the time it is in its linear region during switching, and if you are controlling something like

12V and 6A, you can have as much as 18 watts during this time. At 100 kHz, you could have 1 uSec of high power dissipation on each transition, every 5 uSec, or 20% duty cycle, and about 3.6 watts of switching losses (as a rough estimate).

I had problems driving an FQP24N08 at 100 kHz with the on-board 1 amp gate driver of a UC1843a, such that I was barely getting 75% efficiency with a

12 V input at 40 watts output. It also has about 25 nC maximum gate charge. I was also losing about 1.2 watts in conduction losses with 0.05 ohms RdsOn. So I used a 6 amp gate driver UC3710, with an HUF75645 MOSFET, and I got close to 90% efficiency. This MOSFET has up to 238 uC gate charge, but its RdsOn is only 0.016 ohms, so I had less conduction loss. The driver gets a bit warm, too, so this is probably not an optimal combination. Just charging and discharging the 3800 pF gate capacitance takes a fair amount of power, probably about half a watt.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

The maximum heat dissipation during switching occurs when the voltage across the switch is half way between the rails. The longer the time the drain takes to get from one rail to the other, the longer this dissipation keeps on happening.

Spice can work it out for you if you model your load tolerably accurately

It ain't what you don't know that screws you up, but what you think you know that ain't so.

You need to develop a better understanding of what is going on while the current through the switch moves from off to full on, and the voltage across the switch moves from the full rail voltage to practically nothing.

In the middle of this process the instantaneous power dissipation in the swtich gets pretty high - you can work out exactly how high - and since the process takes a finite time - 10 to 20nsec if you know what you are doing, a microsecond or so if you cheapskate on the driver - each switching opertion dumps a predictable amount of energy into the switch junction.

Work it out.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Yep. Its the basis of Class D amplifier operation:

The dissipation problem is the same for bipolar and MOSFET transistors (even though the underlying reasons for slow switching differ).

                               -- Etaoin Shrdlu
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I believe what these posters are trying to say is that independent of the frequency of operation, you want to switch the fet quickly to stay out of the linear region. It is not the frequency, but rather the "squareness" of the driving voltage that is of concern. In addition, the posters were concerned with the "shoot through" or crowbar current, which can be avoided with a break before make circuit.

The equation you were trying to think is the one for the average current used in driving a gate. You can probably derive it. I = dQ/dt , but in a "macro sense" we have a packet of charge Q transfered over a period T. Q=CV where C is the gate capacitance and V is the peak drive voltage

1/dt is really the switching frequency F

I = CVF.

Reply to
miso

I think you need to work it out. You don't seem to have any clue what your talking about any just about any google search can prove you wrong.

You might be right in that the maxmimum instantanous power dissipated in charging the capacitances is when V is half way min and max but what you fail to realize is that this is independent on frequency. (I might linger around Vpp/2 longer when switching slower but thats only if you take into account a single switch)

I don't give a crap about what happens instantanous but average. Sure switching slower might mean that I'm at Vpp/2 longer but on average its the same if I switch as a frequency twice as fast. Why? Doubt you even read this but your at the Vpp/2 twice as many times... so it doesn't matter how fast you switch w.r.t to this power dissipation. Although you end up dissipating more power for other reasons when you switch faster.

So, point being, If I switch at 2x the frequency I might only be at Vpp/2 half as long but it occurs twice as often and hence cancels. THIS means that it doesn't matter which frequency I switch at and your logic of "Switching slower cause more power dissipation" is simply wrong.

In fact almost every site I have seen gives a formula where the power dissipation is proportional to F and not inverse as you have said.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

[snip]

The power loss isn't about charging the gate capacitance. This is tiny compared to the losses due to Idrain current and Vds.

Draw a load line through the Id, Vds curves for a MOSFET. Draw equal power curves on top of that.

For an ideal device, power dissipation is zero at either end of the load line (where Id=0 or Vds=0). In the middle of the load line, the MOSFET power dissipation is maximum. The longer the MOSFET takes to travel through this region, the more power it dissipates.

Each switching transition will result in a fixed amount of energy (ideal case) dissipated in the MOSFET. For the same switching frequency, the faster you make the transition, the lower this is. Assuming a square wave, of course.

By slower, we aren't talking about the switching frequency. We are talking about how fast each transition (the slope of the sides of the pulses) occurs.

Yes, but it is inversely proportional to the speed of each transition. To speed up the switching transition, you have to drive charge into, or suck it out of the gate as quickly as possible. The average gate current is proportional to the switching frequency, but the instantaneous gate current determines the transition speed and therefore the MOSFET power dissipation. You will run into the limitations of the uC (and associated circuitry) instantaneous current before you have problems with average current.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

Jon, the problem is the amount of time it takes the mosfet(s) to transition from on to off and back from off to on again. During each switching action of a mosfet it acts like a resistor for the duration. Heat! So you want the duration of each switching event as short as possible, regardless of whether these events occur at 100Hz or 100kHz. But that's only part of the problem. Fred brings up a good point about cross-conduction. Now, when your drive has the gates pulled all the way to the rail (either one), that's no problem. But it IS a problem during the switching transition, because both mosfets are partly turned on providing a path -- not through the load, but directly across the power rails. You don't want slow switching here. So a weak drive is bad. For motor drive, a kilohertz is probably way plenty, and this lower frequency is better so that you don't put your mosfets in the hot seat so often.

Reply to
gearhead

Ok guys, it seems we are talking about two different "Frequencies" here. One is the speed at which a transition occurs and the other is the number of times those transitions occur per second. The first really isn't a frequency since a frequency deals with something that is periodic(or at least that tends to be the way people think about frequencies).

I do realize that the faster the transition the less power dissipation. That is pretty basic. And this is independent of frequency(up to a point).

But even having this then the frequency, F, the # of transitions / second, will increase the power dissipation because we are simply transitioning more times per second.

So what confused me was when you guys called the frequency of the transition and I thought it was the frequency of the # of transitions per second. (or maybe I added that to it or just confused the two).

So we are both right ;) Its true that if you increase the transition speed that the power dissipation goes down, but if you increase the # of transitions/per second then the power dissipation goes up.

Hopefully its obvious now...

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

BTW, this should point to an optimal switching frequency for least power dissipation? Anyone know the formula?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Its not so simple. I do see that now as I stated in the last post I made. I thought when they said frequency they meant something else and not the switchign time. (although you do make it much clearer than they did)

But I cannot switch at any frequency and have as fast a transition as I want. I must drive the gates of the mosfet with BJT's and, of course, they have there own limits.

Yes, I know.. its basically just like CMOS(I guess it is CMOS) and there is a short between tranistions.

But there are a few solutions. One is to switch the mosfets on sequentially instead of at the same time. Al I loose is a bit of power to the motor momentarily but inertia should smooth it out. (basically delay the PWM a bit until the transition of the first fet is finished)

But you do make a good point. The problem is, I do have limitations. I do see bill's point now about using a uC to drive the fets as its probably just way to low. Ultimately I'd like a formula for drive. (is it a simple RC circuit(Approximately) or more?)

Well, I do understand that(and its more clear now that you said it). The thing about that slow of a frequency, from what I've read, is that its audiable(Which may or may not be an issue depending on how loud it is).

Basically I need to maximize transition time and minimize frequency given all the contraints. (> 20khz(probably), surge current by drivers(bjt's), least power dissipation(Although I guess as long as its below max I'm ok)).

Ok, I guess I see the confusion. The subject is minimum drive current for mosfets. I guess this is bad. I shouldn't require a minimum but a maxium within the mosfet drivers specs. (basically what I wanted was a formula to see the relationship)

What I plan on doing is use bjt's to drive the gates in emitter follower... but I need to configure them for optimal conditions. (max drive current but within device specs)

Anyways, thanks for the post. Its more clear now but I need to let it settle in. (I "knew" all the concepts before but there was just no glue tieing them together ;/)

(Although I'd still like to drive them with the uC if possible because that is the simplest method... sure it might not be most efficient but if I'm still able to get reasonble power dissipation then its not *wrong* but just not optimal)

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Basically what I'm saying is, is that my drive can supply a surge current of X, I need to know how much power dissipation this gives. I know ultimately I'd want to supply as much as possible but, for example, I can't supply 15A because it has to go through the bjt and then I'll have to worry about power dissipation in that. (I also don't want to run the BJT's at max to get that current)

I suppose I could use some other mosfets to drive the gates but seems like eventually I'll have diminishing returns?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

The less frequently you switch your transistors, the less energy gets dumped into them, so you minimise switching losses by not switching. You don't need a formula to know that.

There isn't much point in getting the power being lost in switching the transistors (dynamic losses) much below the power being dissipated in the transistors all the time there is current flowing through them (static losses).

You've still got to heat sink the transistors well enough to get rid of the heat generated by the static losses, so you may well choose to have enough switching events per second so that your dynamic losses are about the same as your static losses. This makes for smaller and cheaper inductors and capacitors in your output filter than you'd need with fewer switching events. As you push the switching frequency higher you have to balance the need for bigger heat-sinks on your switches against further reductions in the size of the inductors and capacitors in the output filter.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

There is a point where the transistor no longer sees average power but peak power. Never having designed in a power fet process, I don't know the design rule. In more general purpose semiconductor processes, the electromigration frequency limit is 1Khz. That is, a line that is being pulsed that you wish to consider receiving average current should be switching faster that 1KHz.

Power MOSFETs do have SOA limits, but it is not as critical as with bipolars.

I like how you worry about everything. No, really. ;-) There is noting worse than getting product returned.

If your intent is to drive directly from the uP, you may want to consider how the load switching will effect the uP. You will probably get ground bounce. In addition, as you increase VGS, there will be current flow from CDG. If the drain voltage is falling like a rock, it will generate current that opposes your gate drive. What I'm leading to here is you should probably buffer the uP from the power fet.

Reply to
miso

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@k1g2000prb.googlegroups.com...

I just finished looking into various MOSFET gate drivers for my design. They generally cost less than a dollar, and they really switch capacitive loads quickly, which cuts the switching losses quite a bit. Some good drivers from National, Maxim, TI, and Microchip are:

TPS2819 LM5112 MCP1415 MAX5048 TC1413 TC4421 UCC27321/2 UC3710

I also played around with a homebrew MOSFET driver using an NPN and PNP transistor, and a few resistors and diodes, and it seemed to work pretty well in the simulator. I also set it up with a bootstrap to the MOSFET drain, with the idea that maybe a driver could be built into a MOSFET, but it's probably better to tie the voltage supply for the driver to a 5 volt or 12 volt supply. So you can omit some of this circuitry, but it is probably a good idea to have some sort of limiting resistor. I tried a simpler driver with an NPN and PNP with bases tied together as the input and emitters tied together as the output, with collectors across a 12 volt supply, and somehow there was simultaneous conduction and one of the transistors popped. Probably because they were not well matched. So here's a circuit you can try:

Paul

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 240 16 -384 16 WIRE 32 64 -176 64 WIRE 240 64 240 16 WIRE 32 80 32 64 WIRE 208 80 176 80 WIRE 32 96 32 80 WIRE -448 144 -512 144 WIRE -176 144 -176 64 WIRE -176 144 -448 144 WIRE -32 144 -96 144 WIRE 208 160 208 80 WIRE 240 160 240 144 WIRE 240 160 208 160 WIRE -384 192 -384 16 WIRE -272 240 -304 240 WIRE -112 240 -128 240 WIRE -96 240 -96 144 WIRE -96 240 -112 240 WIRE -16 240 -32 240 WIRE 32 240 32 192 WIRE 32 240 -16 240 WIRE 64 240 32 240 WIRE 192 240 64 240 WIRE -512 256 -512 144 WIRE -448 256 -448 144 WIRE -304 272 -304 240 WIRE -112 272 -112 240 WIRE 64 272 64 240 WIRE 240 272 240 256 WIRE -16 288 -16 240 WIRE -192 320 -192 240 WIRE -176 320 -192 320 WIRE -512 400 -512 320 WIRE -448 400 -448 320 WIRE -448 400 -512 400 WIRE -384 400 -384 272 WIRE -384 400 -448 400 WIRE -304 400 -304 352 WIRE -304 400 -384 400 WIRE -192 400 -304 400 WIRE -112 400 -112 368 WIRE -112 400 -192 400 WIRE -16 400 -16 352 WIRE -16 400 -112 400 WIRE 64 400 64 352 WIRE 64 400 -16 400 WIRE 240 400 240 352 WIRE 240 400 64 400 FLAG -304 240 Vin FLAG -16 240 Vgate FLAG -16 400 0 SYMBOL voltage -304 256 R0 WINDOW 3 -95 172 Left 0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 0 36 57 Left 0 SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 5 50u 50n 10n 5u 10u 100) SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMBOL res -176 224 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 200 SYMBOL cap -32 288 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 3800p SYMBOL nmos 192 160 R0 SYMATTR InstName M1 SYMATTR Value SUM75N06-09L SYMBOL res 224 48 R0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 2 SYMBOL voltage -384 176 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName V2 SYMATTR Value 12 SYMBOL res 224 256 R0 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value .05 SYMBOL npn -32 96 R0 SYMATTR InstName Q1 SYMATTR Value 2N3904 SYMBOL schottky -32 224 R90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName D1 SYMATTR Value 1N5818 SYMATTR Description Diode SYMATTR Type diode SYMBOL res 48 256 R0 SYMATTR InstName R4 SYMATTR Value 4.7k SYMBOL pnp -176 368 M180 SYMATTR InstName Q2 SYMATTR Value 2N3906 SYMBOL res -80 128 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R5 SYMATTR Value 5k SYMBOL res -176 416 R180 WINDOW 0 36 76 Left 0 WINDOW 3 36 40 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName R6 SYMATTR Value 5k SYMBOL schottky -192 224 M90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName D2 SYMATTR Value 1N5818 SYMATTR Description Diode SYMATTR Type diode SYMBOL cap -464 256 R0 SYMATTR InstName C2 SYMATTR Value 100n SYMATTR SpiceLine V=16 Irms=0 Rser=0.007 MTBF=0 Lser=0 ppPkg=1 SYMBOL schottky 96 64 R90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName D3 SYMATTR Value 1N5818 SYMATTR Description Diode SYMATTR Type diode SYMBOL zener -496 320 R180 WINDOW 0 24 72 Left 0 WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName D4 SYMATTR Value BZX84C12L SYMATTR Description Diode SYMATTR Type diode SYMBOL res 192 64 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R7 SYMATTR Value 200 TEXT -304 464 Left 0 !.tran 0 1m 0 startup

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

(snip)

(snip)

Did you use a resistors in each base, or just tie them together?

Reply to
gearhead