Forcing serial handshaking

Hi, I'm having trouble drawing up a schematic for an FT232BM serial converter chip, and an AVR. I assume the normal rules of serial apply to it. Does this mean that I can connect CTS to RTS together and DTR DSR DCD all together too? This apepars tho be the case in

(at the top left). Should this work, or is there something else I should do?

many thanks

ch424

Reply to
alexander.chadwick

Brilliant... Many thanks to both of you!

ch424

Reply to
alexander.chadwick

Hi,

I use my PC serial port for any number of things. All I usually use is XMIT, RECV, and Ground. Occasionaly, I use one of the other output lines for a power source. The input handshake lines are only used if the PC application specifically calls for their use, but jumpering them back that way will not hurt either.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."

The PC application operating the comport determines the use of the handshake lines. They are not required if the application doesn't implement them. But yes, if they are required, then you can short them, as if it was a normal comport.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar