Are 5 GHz telephones safe?

Just got a new DSS 3 station 5.x GHz cordless telephone for the house. Boy, does it work great, but the thought has occurred to me that these handsets are emitting microwave radiation, right next to the brain, and we all know what microwaves are good for .... making popcorn :) SO, am I and my innocent family turning out brains into popcorn with these things??

Reply to
Greysky

I read in sci.electronics.design that Greysky wrote (in ) about 'Are 5 GHz telephones safe?', on Sun, 20 Feb

2005:

Microwave ovens have powers of hundreds of watts. Your phone maybe has a maximum possible power of less than 1 watt. Also, it operates at 5 GHz and a microwave oven would not work well at all at 5 GHz.

Having said that, purely as a precaution don't let your kids use it too often or for long periods.

John Woodgate

Hey, watch out for exposure to 500,000 Ghz radiation - actually known to turn human skin brown!

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."

I think the short answer is they are safe.

There are regulations limiting the power density of microwave radiation for safety reasons. Your cordless phone will be within these rules, probably by a very comfortable margin.

The conventional theory about the safety of microwave radiation is that the only significant danger to health is through heating (as you say, like a microwave oven). Therefore, current regulations are based on heating only. However, some people are claiming that there may be other ways in which microwave radiation can be hazardous to health. As far as I know, no conclusive evidence of danger has been found.

Below is a quote from the NRPB website on the safety of mobile phones. Note that this refers to cell phones, not cordless phones, but both use microwaves.

"The main conclusion is that there is no hard evidence at present that the health of the public, in general, is being affected adversely by the use of mobile phone technologies, but uncertainties remain and a continued precautionary approach to their use is recommended until the situation is further clarified."

The full press release can be found here:

Gareth.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris
Reply to
Gareth

Because they fall off the table when you walk into the other room? Though I don't have either (tossed the land lines in '99 and '03).

--
  Keith
Reply to

An orker?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

What is wrong with a cable phone ? It never has old and/or empty batteries.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

What don't you understand about walking?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Nah, if I did they wouldn't be taxing me like I was BillG.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Nah, I work with cow-orkers, but I'm not one of *them*. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Unless you swallow one!

Reply to
Clarence_A

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ken Taylor wrote (in ) about 'Are 5 GHz telephones safe?', on Mon, 21 Feb 2005:

Maybe he lives in a barrel, like Diogenes.

John Woodgate

Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:59:59 +0100: Rene Tschaggelar (----> snipped-for-privacy@none.net)

----> sci.electr>

I have an old (1997) Toshiba (back when I bought the phone from someone in the USA, I couldn't find cordless phones in any local shops) cordless phone that still operates on 900MHz (?).

It has a range of ~50 meters from its "base". Good enough for using it in any place of the house. (sometimes I have to do this because of noise coming from the street)

And the batteries have never failed, nor they have been changed. Still handles ~10 hours if not on its base/charger.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil - 29.55° S
/ 51.11° W / GMT-2h / 15m .

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
 I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
                                                   -- Amy Lee

(My e-mail address isn't read. Please reply to the group!)

For spammers: renan.birck@ibestvip.com.br , or mips_r16000@hotmail.com .
              Those await for your spams!
Reply to
Chaos Master

I read in sci.electronics.design that Spehro Pefhany wrote (in ) about 'Are 5 GHz telephones safe?', on Sun, 20 Feb 2005:

That was Jonah, not Diogenes.

John Woodgate

house. Boy,

handsets

know

Does it matter, anyway - after a lifetime of laying asbestos conduit, wiping lead cable joints, using carbon tet to clean switches, surviving a few big car crashes and last year being opened up for colon cancer surgery, I dont think it matters a damm. Probably the only hazard is when you play "find the phone" and fall over something.

73 de VK3BFA Andrew
Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

After a long conversation you can get earache due to poor circulation.

Reply to
Reg Edwards

Microwaves opperate at 2x10^14 Hz, this is 42,850 TIMES your cordless phone (1GHz= 10^9 Hz). Plus you oven is most likely 800-1000Watts, and you phone is few watts at best.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I read in sci.electronics.design that Bill Bailley wrote (in ) about 'Are 5 GHz telephones safe?', on Mon, 21 Feb 2005:

There is nothing on that site that supports your assertion.

Thousands of times stronger than the emissions from a cordless phone.

MILLIONS of times stronger than the emissions from a cordless phone.

Reports referring to putative causes of VERY RARE neoplasms are simply speculation.

John Woodgate

You better line your house with lead and never step outside then.

Reply to
TCS

Boy,

handsets

know

You have no table or other room? Must be a small house!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor