Flicker noise voltage distribution.

*plonk*
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Academic. The real world is full of fans, HVAC ducts, the sun rising and setting, doors opening and closing, cats walking around, ac power input variations changing regulator dissipations, all sorts of nasty thermal stuff. What looks like inherent 1/f noise is often this chaotic junk. And things can often be done to improve the situation.

John

You're childish.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

ere

Exactly. Even in a theoretically perfect system there's no upper crest limit to noise. Phil's probably having a bad day is all.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Let's all read his book, then read your book, and decide who understands stuff.

John

No, Avogadro's number in not in the least bit "really large". It is actually fairly convenient for sizing rechargeable batteries. As is Coulombs number. Even poor grades of practically infinite are well above 10^10^10. We are still finding merseine prime numbers well above 10^1000.

Reply to
JosephKK

I'd consider Mersenne primes a bit of a niche interest, but then I don't get out that much. ;)

Numbers like 10**24 mean that even fluctuations, which tend to go like sqrt(N), are down in the parts per trillion. As you point out, even Coulomb's number is pretty big--we don't usually worry about the shot noise of a current of an amp.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

there

cker

uce

I don't know if writing a book counts as being correct. ~ last year via email Phil tried to tell me that it's impossible for a capacitor to contain q/3 charge. For example, if you apply 1/2 uV on a 0.11pF cap. I tried to tell Phil that on paper (pencil pushing) that's fine and dandy, but in the real world, thermal energy continuously causes electrons to flow inward and outward of a capacitor, that on average there would be 1/3 of a coulomb. I guess he didn't like being corrected, so once again he essentially *plonked* me by ending the conversation in a childishly manner.

A computer may contain a lot of information, but it's not very clever or acute. Some people know a lot, but they're not very clever or acute.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

there

Do you design electronics? Show us some.

John

there

Paul is a googlegroups poster. Need we look further?

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Non sequitur AND ad hominem. I occasionally post from Google; do my electronic designs suddenly evaporate under such conditions?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

No...

  • Score:-40 From:(Tim.Williams)

White-list in effect

...Jim Thompson

hat there

flicker

It's

reduce

er

.

I don't find much interest in proving myself. I vote for some mature discussions on physics and engineering.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

there

flicker

reduce

Well, sci.electronics.design is often invaded by poseurs who want to argue arcania about climate change or physics or evolution, and all sorts of stuff. The arguments are usually fuzzy and oriented to, indeed, proving the posters right and the rest of us dumb. They don't seem to want to argue with genuine experts in those fields, so they come here. And they don't design electronics.

Some people really like to bash engineers. Probably because we make stuff that works, and they don't. Also, probably, because we have fun, and they don't.

You seem to fit the pattern perfectly. If not, show us some real, serious electronics.

John

Hence the refrain:

"On the Avagadroth's day of Christmas, my true love gave to me..." ?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

y that there

ot flicker

e. It's

ly reduce

ince

no

sing

power

asty

ion.

rest

It's a sick world, isn't it?

You have the right to believe as you wish. I've built plenty of circuits, but undoubtedly it wouldn't impress you. Does it even matter? For the moment I'm into writing some semiconductor fabrication software. You know, dopant densities, metal & semiconductor selection, contact area, etc. The last circuit I built, months ago, was an electrometer (~ 3fA bias current), connected to a voltage-to-current amp driving an LED, which was connected to a 10ft fiber optic cable going to a photodiode, connected to a FET op-amp. Prior to that I designed an entire Ground penetrating radar (GPR), utilizing Fourier transforms in deconvolution routines, capable of detecting a metal object the size of a quarter buried 20 feet in good ground. Lets not talk about "bad" ground, please. ;-) Prior to that I designed a low end Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) system.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

there

flicker

reduce

Can't right now. Right now I'm making Linzer cookies like my grandmother used to make ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I guess you have never had to repeatably measure picoamperes. Test instruments finally got to measuring fractional attoamperes (

Reply to
JosephKK

Bad, bad guess. Read his book.

John

I measure picoamperes all the time. I fail to see what that has to do with whether Avogadro's number is big enough to impress...maybe Avogadro has been reading his spam email lately...

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs