FFT Rounding error?

Good point. Yes, just using the best fit could still leave a discontinuity there.

Then there is the question of discontinuities in the slope and in the second derivitive. Not as bad as a discontinuity in the function itself, but the windowing can take care of those as well.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

There is a nice version of the Wein bridge oscillator that often gets used for this. There are two op-amps in the circuit and both of them are inverting. This removes the effects of common mode changes. The gain control is done either with a light controlled resistor or a couple of thermistors. It takes quite a while for the amplitude to settle but the noise and distortion values come out very good.

Reply to
MooseFET

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Reply to
MooseFET

that

I have a HP 8903B, which is a decent source. I'm not sure you could roll something together that is better.

I remember building the Wein bridge oscillator in school. We used a jfet for the gain control.

Reply to
miso

When the only tool you have is a claw hammer, everything looks like a bent nail. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(snip)

Yes, but I thought there was another one, but I suppose that works, too.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

you

that

that

The JFET leads to a lot of even order harmonics. HP used a light bulb in their early designs. Some people have used things like car head lamps to get massive enough devices.

The Wein bridge design is not very accurate as far as frequency but it can be very low noise and distortion.

Reply to
MooseFET

I did not expect it to, but held my peace. The tail is in part created by two things, the end around discontinuity, and the fact that your sampling frequency is insufficient to get a worthwhile spectrum of the switcher. Please note that the expected (mostly odd) harmonics are missing. Try about 10 (or 100) times the sample rate for about one 50th as long a time.

Then do the DFT twice and plot 50 us (5 cycles of the switcher) and see what you get. I promise that the 10 MHz sample rate will produce a much more believable waveform.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller