Favorite calculator

Well, I have to remember the letter "P" for parallel, in my particular case. Ones like parallel impedances aren't difficult to remember as it's used regularly; I certainly do occasionally forget more complex/obscure programs that I don't use regularly.

In practice, no -- but it's hard to not recall the guy in your numerical methods class nagging at you at times...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

How many versions do you have? Find X//Y, X to make X//Y = Z,... How many voltage divider equations? Nah, much easier to just remember the keystrokes. After 40 years doing it, they're pretty much spinal cord functions. ;-)

Gee, I remember being nagged about keeping insignificant digits *long* before I knew anything about numerical methods.

Reply to
krw

I had a Casio that worked from right to left. It also crashed and erased your programs (randomized its whole memory IIRC) if you pressed any of several invalid sequences of only 2 or 3 keys.

That's the "what else was broken" in them.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yes.

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

repair,

says,

chain of

AFAICT i can read them just fine (but maybe not?), but all i ever get is just another one (and they all seem way too easy). Rape, maybe the = idiots need cookies and can't be bothered to state so. I'll have to try that.

Damn, it needs both cookies and java script. Idiot site.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

HP32S is my favorite.

HP's new (sort of) HP35S replaced my ailing HP32S (zebra connectors were going). Unfortunately, this calculator was designed by someone who never used the older HP calculators. Placement of the functions are horrible. On the other hand, the complex arithmetic is done well.

As for on-line calculators, my favorite is:

qrk

I find RP more intuitive than algebraic. With long equations, it's easier to get the correct answer using RP on the first try (we ran experiments between the two camps in college - RP vs. algebraic).

Reply to
qrk

I would perform...

4 -14 [XEQ P]

...Saving all of one keystroke.

Yes, that is a negligible savings. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Ha, good point... I think "sig figs" (significant figures, i.e., digits) was 1st or maybe 2nd year physics and my numerical methods class wasn't until 3rd.

However, there's no harm in using a well-conditioned formula even if you don't have very many sig figs; the calculator doesn't know how many you might or might not have, after all.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Good grief! We did "sig figs" in high school, if not earlier. Probably before you were born. ;-)

It should. You told it. Some (HPs) let you tell it explicitly. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It's probably a graduate level course these days. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner