Favorite calculator

he

When I was a student I found myself in same situation, one day I left my fav. calc in the library...

Later I found another calc can do a better job...

Reply to
halong

John,

Try posting at the hpmuseum forum. Someone there should be able to help you. I'd love to have one of those. I have a 9825T that works.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

it

on the

hungry..

I hardly even go to google for that, the computer that would access = google can do all those things locally, often with storage.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

lasted.

Great as the old 35s were/are the 45s are better. Programmability makes all the difference. Next are the 41CV and the 48GX (their problem is = over complexity, who can handle over 600 built in functions effectively - vs something like Macsyma)

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

hex

What about that 9100? Does that one still work?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

some

Now that is a good reason to have them laying around. I just love watching bean counters implode.

?-))

Reply to
josephkk

equation.

and

of)

(left

Each to their own, thought i can do either (or even both in a pinch), because of my experience i prefer "algebraic mode". This makes learning PostScript difficult for me.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I get the directory but when i try a link all i get is an endless chain = of poor "captcha"s.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

They all worked for me. If it's not legible, I don't know...try another browser maybe.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I often get a lot I can't read... Guess we both failed the turing test?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Rather than replace it, just dry it out really good. Open the back, apply a small fan or a hair dryer on low heat for awhile. Let it sit for another day just in case there is still some moisture. Sit in sun if possible. Install new batteries and it will likely work like new.

Reply to
piper

The HP45[*] was *NOT* programmable. Perhaps your addled brain was thinking of the HP65?

[*] At least the '45 that was the successor to the HP35 - the numbers may have been reused.
Reply to
krw
[...]

It's a print cartridge now....

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It seems that RPN would have simplified the random control logic used in the early models. I wonder if there were any algebraic models that used simple control logic and no CPU.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

What calculator was he using, though? Pretty much any calculator that doesn't have native support for complex numbers as a fundamental object type (but instead splits the real and imaginary parts across two registers) is going to be kinda cumbersome.

I can't tell you how many hours I saved over my classmates back in the early '90s in elementary circuits classes where you wrote down a bunch of node or current loop equations and then solved the matrix... but it was a LOT, as I had an HP-48 calculator which understood complex numbers and matrices as a fundamental object.

As John Larkin has pointed out, every EE should know that parallel impedances on an RPN calculator is as trivial as [value] 1/x [value] 1/x

  • 1/x ... easy peasy, although I still prefer [value] [value] XEQ [My Program] (and this is perhaps picking nits, but the having a program that uses Z1*Z1/(Z1+Z2) is numerically better conditioned that
1/(1/Z1+1/Z2) anyway).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Granted, the 48GX is seemingly over complex. I still can't use most of it, not being a math major. The cool part was other ppl could program apps for it. I once used half dozen very handy apps I downloaded off the web, including databases, memo minders, etc. It was the first true PDA.

Another cool thing was the infrared system. I could xfer any app to another 48 by merely placing the two head to head and pushing a button. There was one 3rd party app that made the 48 work as remote control for yer TV. Unfortunately, HP crippled its usable tx/rx distance for fear students would use the capability to cheat on exams.

Recently, I've dug the old thing out and and am using it again

--learning and relearning-- for hobby electronics. Sucker is built like a tank. Another bonus, uses plain ol' AAA batteries, not some bizarre no-longer-available proprietary cell.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

Here's a good reason to use RPN:

OK, ok, they should have used additional parentheses anyway, but still... I'd be scared about what else was broken in the one on the left!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Then you have to remember where you stuck all of [my programs]. I *much* prefer John's method. Do you really need better than two, *maybe* three significant digits?

The HP45 added a polar to rectangular function, which made vector arithmetic trivial. There was also some statistical stuff in there that I made good use of in a probability class. ;-)

Reply to
krw

RPN doesn't have any operator precedence issues!

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

What resistor do I have to put in parallel with 14K to get 4K?

4 1/x 14 1/x - 1/x

That took 7 keystrokes total.

--

http://www.highlandtechnology.com