fastest CPU in DIP format?

I have had a lot of trouble with the crystals on otherwise shock resistant designs. The crystal tends to hit the inside of the case and crack. I had good results when I started using high-shock crystals from Statek.

BTW, it has been my experience that high-quality machined pin DIP sockets do *not* allow the chip to walk out under vibration.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

In article , Guy Macon wrote: [...]

In one design (not mine) we used a little foam pillow and flexy wires to shock mount the crystal. We also shock mounted the transformer too but that was more a microphonics issue than a breakage one.

I think the good ones actually ratchet the chip in. It always seems to require more force the get a chip out than to put it in.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Aubrey McIntosh wrote: [...]

I suspect that the PIC has more oomf that the old PCs based on the 8086. The 8086 could do 16 bit math and all but it took something like 21 clock cycles to do a conditional jump and every memory access took a trip through the ALU. The PC could easily be out performed by an Apple-II.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Yup. I remember making some interesting things with RTL ceramic flat packs from Polypaks (sp?).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Cough. Funny how advice can boomerang. It is aerospace/military who _started_ surface mount in the 50's. First there was surface mount, then there was DIP.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

I don't recall NASA markings, but the numbers sound familiar. Gates and JK FFs, I think.

I don't think I ever saw any of the molded ones:

If this DTL page is representative, the flat packs had 50 mil pitch. I glued them onto cardboard and used magnet wire to hook them up.

Yup. A better class of garbage than what Radio Shack sold.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

914s and 923s marked NASA?

BTW, it was Poly Paks, two words. Junk, garbage, over runs and oddball parts the average tech could never find anywhere else! Ah, the good old days. :)

--
Beware of those who suffer from delusions of adequacy!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I amy still have a couple with the NASA markings. If I can find them I will take close up photos and post them on ABSE in a few days.

--
Beware of those who suffer from delusions of adequacy!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know this place, they used to sell terribly popular CB radio PCB boards, way back when I was a kid. The boards were somewhat crappy, but amazingly cheap.

SioL

The went out of business a long time ago, but they were famous for 99 cent blister packed surplus parts, like 250 1/2 watt resistors, or 100 ceramic disk caps. They sold floor sweepings, terminated production line residue and whatever else they could get. In the early '70s I bought a pound of Germanium signal diodes and a pound of Silicon signal diodes for a couple dollars a pound. I also got neat parts like a Ch3/Ch4 TV SAW filter that was surplus from a high end video game modulator. I was working in TV repair right after high school and bought a lot of different assortments of junk hardware, switches and other parts that I made money on.

J.I.T. and high taxes are killing the electronic surplus market. :(

BTW, the CB radio chassis they sold was the "HYGAIN" 23 channel design that suddenly was obsolete after the FCC added 17 new channels and made the sale of new 23 ch radios illegal. A lot of hams bought them and converted them to the 10 meter band with a couple crystals and a re-tuning the board.

--
Beware of those who suffer from delusions of adequacy!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell wrote (in ) about 'fastest CPU in DIP format?', on Thu, 24 Feb 2005:

We still have at least three sources in UK similar to the Poly Pak you describe.

John Woodgate

Not DIP, but I have done this. Soldered it by hand too. QFP208s can be soldered by mere mortals (with patience).

Darrell Harmon

Reply to
dlharmon

Enjoy them while they last, John. :)

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote

"Masked ROMS: Don't know what they contain. We didn't have a chance to test them. 99 cents each"

-- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/

Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan

Taking this 1 step further, what is the fastest ARM in a non-BGA package?

The Atmel AT91RM9200 (180MHz, nice-to-have memory controller 16k SRAM, no onboard Flash, 208PQFP) seems to be leader of the pack, but no LCD controller.

Intel dropping the SA-1100 and Epson dropping the S1D13806 is proving a real pain for me.

Mike

Reply to
MSC

The masked ROMs I got from Poly Paks were 2513 character generator chips for early computer terminals and were about 20 cents each. About half were good.

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I did one (well not 208, but 160) last week with the ordinary iron. Someone had borrowed my Wavetip, so I just used the ordinary 2mm tip, small blob of solder, PQFP pins and pads well fluxed, drew it INVERTED (i.e. flat upwards) over the pins- very little solder wick required to complete a working job. Much quicker than soldering a 64 pin DIP.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I think there may have been more than one, I have definitely seen 40ch models. MC145106 was used so it may have been just a thing of replacing a switch.

SioL

Hy-gain, or the contractor went out of the CB business not long after and the remaining 40 channel chassis ended up surplus. The same chassis was used in a couple dozen brand names so a lot of surplus dealers had the boards, chassis and even complete radios for years. A friend of mine serviced CB radios at the time. You could get a whole board cheaper then most of the parts so he bought a pile for spare parts.

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How's your project coming along? Last August you got Linux running, "Booted Linux2.4.26-vrs1 with USB root," but with "No CF, ethernet, NAND flash, FPGA support yet." So how's it coming along since then?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win