faster Firefox

Do this in about:config

It reduces the number of 3rd party downloads on a web page.

Also, make Flash loads optional.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

about:config? Do you mean options | privacy } tracking ?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Where is the Flash load setting?

Reply to
Steve Goldstein

No, you type 'about:config' in the URL bar. Presto, a thousand obscure settings.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Hmm. I don't have a setting called that. What version are you using?

I use both the FlashBlock and QuickJava add-ons, which let me turn that stuff on and off easily from the status bar.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That was a very useful comment. Thanks.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Tools - Add-ons Select Plugins Select 'Ask to activate' for Shockwave Flash

Reply to
Vito Corti

I used to use Flashblock, but in the current version (I'm running

38.0.1) in the Plugins menu, there's a pulldown thing for each plugin, and you can select "ask to activate" for Flash.

Other handy things are

Classic Theme Restorer

Switch Window Mode

InFormEnter

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

For example, to reverse the direction of the scroll wheel....

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I think that about:config is all the settings. A lot of the addon programs just edit about:config.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ah, okay, it's new then. On this machine I'm running CentOS 6.6 LTE, which supplies Firefox 31.6 updated with patches for things like Logjam and Heartbleed.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

but seems to stop gmail working

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Gmail is the ultimate privacy-invading user-tracking-cookie app. It should be stopped from working.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Works just fine here.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

I am not sure if this a coincidence. But in the last days one site got really unusable, bringing FF to a total halt and the CPU usage to 100%. Applying your suggestion solved this. So, may be they fixed their mess at the same time or your suggestion did it. Anyway, thanks.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

I'm not sure what exactly that setting does, but it makes some page loads blindly fast. So far, I don't see any bad side effects.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If anyone is getting around geographic restrictions (eg. BBC, Netflix, Hulu etc.) with a VPN this may be of interest:

Got this today:

--
Do you use Hola VPN to view access Netflix USA? Well, the "free"
service actually resells your internet connection for anyone that

OK, Gmail is not the ultimate snooper after all.

Dropbox is probably OK. The free version is 2 gbytes or something (worth pennies of hard drive these days) and the paid version is reasonable. They figure that is you use it, soon you'll want more storage.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

just set it to forward to your regular email account.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to