fast high-voltage diodes

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Like I said, HV types too weak:

Dampers are like the schottkys of hollow state. They're actually very nice devices, only a small factor worse than comparable SS. Actually, probably much better in your case; a typical damper does something like 7V drop at 25mA. No band gap or built in potential to deal with, and you can rectify the better part of a Tesla coil if you so desire.

If you can ignore the heater power, of course.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Beware of distributed capacitance, inter-diode coupling capacitance, as well (or is it most especially) inductance. Maybe laid out as a transmission line.

  • As an OffTopic question, have you ever heard of a Guillman (SP?) transmission line?
Reply to
Robert Baer

Methinks you better do some serious modeling..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Ain't Schottky diodes supposed to be fast? Too bad the breakdown (and leakage) is so crappy. You would need thousands of them for a decent equivalent breakdown voltage..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I remember my course on III-V and silicon (IV) devices (long time ago)

the diode is conducting (just before applying the inverse voltage to block conduction). Not sure but i guess the differnces between a power diode and a small signal one is the case-junction thermal resistance... not sure really !

Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Those above 100V are usually not.

Yeah, not all that glitters is gold. Schottky diodes can have some (often limited) advantage in Vf but it can be eaten up by leakagea and other not so nice effects.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Try SiC diodes:

GB01SLT12-220 DIODE SCHOTTKY 1.2KV 1A TO220AC (less that 17nS )

GAP3SLT33-220FP DIODE SCHOTKY 3.3KV 0.3A TO220FP:

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:13:36 +0200) it happened Glenn wrote in :

The forward drop at rated current and 175 C is 2.6 V.

Nice they have a spice model.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Used in a HV circuit, 2.6 volts is nothing. Little heat maybe, but who's paying the bill here?

We recently experimented in making a 50Kv diode assembly using Sic diodes at 100Khz.

Results showed very good however, in the final application many of these assemblies are needed and the cost of nearly $600 worth of these Sic diodes per assembly are hitting home in the bean counting department which is really bizarre compared to the wasted money I see..

Where I hang my hat every day there are many failed projects costing 100k up in the Millions of dollars.. These people that get this funding seem to have no problems getting more money for other high cost failed projects.

Mean while, there are a few of us that think economically and try to do full real live testing in a small scale to insure the final model will work. It seems these projects when presented after real numbers are available to prove workability are very hard getting off first base.

So I have concluded that a fancy vocabulary using words that need to be looked up in a dictionary to cover the lack of knowing what you're talking about seems to work in the big business world. I know a couple around here that uses that approach to smoke screen the audience.

Maybe it's language that both sides understand and just a way to allocate funds for both to benefit from, out side the actual project they ware appropriated for, that is.

I don't think I'll ever understand big business..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Interesting. $27 each! Not really bad, considering.

They make it in surface-mount, too.

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Aug 2014 14:41:26 -0400) it happened "Maynard A. Philbrook Jr." wrote in :

Depends. Is that high speed really needed, else use normal Si. Anyways one would expect to have Schottkys to have a low forward drop. Seems those silicon carbides things have a high voltage drop. That is what I pointed out.

Its easy. Top down does not work.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

collmer or microsemi -> HVPS (in texas) -> bought by Dean. Not sure about the HVCA in NY origins.

Not sure it's relevant these days, but one company Dean bought out completely lacked any sort of quality control. I ended up having to have RMA basically everything as they were about 3/4 defective due to extremely poor assembly quality. Hopefully that's been fixed. The Mr. Dean from Dean tech is surprisingly young, not really sure how that whole company even came to be and started to acquire everybody.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader