Extech DMMs

Anyone have any experience with them? Are they easy to zap? Specs and prices look good enough, what say the masses? I'm considering the MM560 here:

50,000 count/.01uA resolution/US$229

tia

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I haven't used their dmm's (I like Fluke) but I have several of their other gadgets - IR thermometer, air flow meter, LCR meter - and they all seem very good.

John

It claims "600V input protection on all functions (1000V on Voltage)", so that would mean well protected on ohms, diode, and cap ranges etc

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yeah, Fluke is nice, but maybe a bit too rich for me plus I'd like a bit more frequency counting response than 200kHz, well actually I'd like allot more. ;-) Trying to keep things in the $200 area. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I've been very pleased with their LCR meter. If buying a new DMM, I would consider Extech.

Chuck

chuck

Thanks so much for pointing that out. My Micronta spoiled me all these years by surviving such things without flinching. It's a concern for me as I'd really hate to kill an expensive meter by making a stupid mistake. It's pretty much what happened to all my old analog meters, AC in Ohms mode.....poof....

As you noticed, I started a new thread since the other was old and getting a bit OT. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

We have one of these at work:

It's a fine IR thermometer, but it's a sucky DMM. Everyone avoids it like the plauge in favor of fluke meters. We replaced the leads on it a few times before realizing it was just a flakey ohmmeter.

If not for that experience, I'd probably own one, since I've seen that model for under $125. It's a shame, the specs on the 470 (450 + LCR) look nice.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Ouch, that's not good. Was it problematic from the start? Could it have been damaged/dropped? What do you mean by flakey; inconsistant, slightly off or wildly off?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

It's probably been a year since I used it to measure anything, I don't recall. It was relatively new when I used it (it was purchased for the IR thermometer) so I don't think it had been mishandled. Whatever it did wrong was enough that I questioned the results and got another meter. Could be an anomaly -- my sample size is 1!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

It was starting to P(r)ong a bit!

An older thread had some support for the ExTech:

And look who was there too, none other than Roy L. Fuchs, a.k.a MassiveProng

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Exactly

Looks like "igor The Terrible" likes Extech. I hate to say it, but if the Protek 6800 could measure DC current with better than 1uA resolution, I'd be tempted. Most of it's other specs look pretty decent, excepting the battery life of course. ;-) Since I'm quickly approaching the $300 mark, I'm rethinking this. In this price range I should probably be looking at equipment I don't already have, like a logic analyzer.

I think I had less trouble picking a wife. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont