Re: Existance of a Simple Serial Shell?

>> Anyone know of a simple shell that can be run over a serial port for

>>> doing file access on a windows host? I just need to do file copies and >>> list directories, delete files. >> >> Maybe I should just bite the bullet and write one. >> Sometimes, I just try to take the easy way out of habbit. > > You should be able to get the source to something like telnet from one of > the Linux distros. Would that work for you?

Huh? Telnet isn't a shell. It's a TCP protocol handler. He doesn't want to communication via TCP, he wants to communicate via a serial port.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What I want to find
                                  at               out is -- do parrots know

I don't supopse there's a WinCE port of busybox?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'll eat ANYTHING
                                  at               that's BRIGHT BLUE!!

I was curious about taking a look at busybox, I would imagine that there would be no port but that making one would be a semi simple matter of exchaning linux file access with windows APIs (basically wrap all the APIs to look like the same linux calls). That did come to mind first. T.

Reply to
T Marchini

Maybe there's a kermit server for Windows, by now? You might be able to provoke something like that to talking to a cmd shell. You could certainly use it for file downloads and uploads.

What you're describing sounds like ftp over a serial link, rather than a full-blown shell.

Modern windows has a telnet server that fires up a cmd session. (And an FTP server?) Use some sort of PPP server to establish an IP connection over your serial link and you can use the whole gammut of TCP/IP tools.

--
Andrew
Reply to