"excruciating economic pain"

As time goes on, it gets harder and harder to be outrageous. The alternative is of course boredom.

It's hard to get people to pay you for boring them.

Reply to
jlarkin

Since you've survived, despite you having a rather bizarre approach to problem-solving, this is plausible.

John Larkin's approach to designing electronics as exhibited recently (9th July) in "48v isolated dc/dc converter", isn't impressive.

His LT Spice simulation assumes perfect couple between the windings of his Coilcraft transformer - Coilcraft PL300-100L in the simulation for which the data sheet shows a 284uH primary inductance - not the the 75u given in the LTSpice simulation - and a worst case leakage inductance of 0.25uH. His cois have no parallel capacitance either, which would be a neat trick, and no interwinding capacitance either, which would be another.

I haven't designed anything that has been built recently, but I've put together some LT Spice simulations that strike me as more plausible than John's, and I certainly have designed stuff that worked and went into production in the past.

There was only one response - mine - to his "48v isolated dc/dc converter" post. There's not a lot of point to in reacting to incompetent self-advertising.

If he could design interesting electronics he might do better, and if posted helpful responses to other people's design problems, or reacted positively to comments on his own offerings that could also help, As it is he seems to expect to be admired for his rather less than admirable contributions, and gets resentful when it doesn't happen.

As for the concepts "male and female", anatomy does influence the social roles ascribed to male and female people, but society also influences the anatomy. Upper-class Chinese women had their feet bound to make them tiny ( and painfully distorted). There's a lot more to a social role than having children.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The internet has made it a lot easier to spread dishonest reporting and misleading propaganda. John Larkin likes the misleading stuff and thinks that honest reporting and professional journalism is trying to sell him something that he doesn't like (though he ought to).

And not enough of the kind of partisan rant and bad writing that John Larkin likes to see, as exhibited by his enthusiasm for climate change denial.

The intellectual rot is between John Larkin's ears. He doesn't like real world facts and wants a steady diet of satisfying delusion, rather like Cursitor Doom.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

That's not the whole issue.

John Larkin likes to evolve his "designs". He doesn't seem to understand how real design works.

But a Turing machine can emulate any of them - mostly very slowly.

They don't have a "primary purpose" - they just evolved. All female mammals have them, but human female breasts are more visually impressive than most.

John Larkins ideas about electronic design are also bizarre. My anatomy seems to tolerably standard - my doctors have never found it all that surprising.

John Doe's opinions aren't nearly as humble as they ought to be. He doesn't know much, and most of what he thinks he knows is absurdly wrong.

John Larkin expects us to admire his less-than-admirable circuits, and feels hurt when we don't.

John Larkin wants admiration, rather than attention. He resents critical attention, and doesn't seem to think that his ideas are susceptible to improvement.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Is is similar to some people's stash of platinum. The buy would require taxes on import. They leave it dangling at the import bureau, "freeport". Then the price go up and they sell it to people who actually import and pay taxes, or do a similar trick. Speculation without paying sales tax.

Groetjes Albert

Reply to
albert

Yes. It's an interesting twist, defying normal ASSUMPTIONS (that the warehouse would be a SHORT TERM transient location; a backlog for customs inspectors!).

Sort of like not bothering to accompany the guy who just bought your vehicle to the DMV to get the title transferred -- thinking he would OBVIOUSLY want to do so!

(later, getting a visit from the po-po that YOUR car was involved in a robbery...)

Reply to
Don Y

Ever notice how every TV commercial during the pandemic was basically the same commercial? "During these challenging times..."

Nevermind, you probably don't watch TV. But seems like artists and writers who work for advertising departments get paid for boring people all the time. Welp, guess it pays better than trying to get a government grant to put a figurine of Jesus in a bottle of urine, and hang it in a gallery.

Reply to
bitrex

Every report on NPR was about civid. For more than a year. Now it's switching to race.

I sure don't.

Did someone mention how it's getting harder to be outrageous? Once just saying one of a list of nasty words was enough.

One could be arrested for mailing a naughty note or picture to a friend.

Reply to
jlarkin

And yet Americans seemed to be outraged over all sorts of stuff all the time, sounds like it's getting easier, not harder...I wonder how Christ would've felt about people being outraged over someone putting a plastic souvenir of him in a bottle of urine.

Ah, the good ol' days....some libertarians say that if there were much fewer laws there'd be much less to argue about, which may be true, but I find it hard to believe Americans in aggregate would ever become totally uninterested in knowing whether their neighbor was getting better dirty pictures in their mail than they were.

Reply to
bitrex

Not anyone I know. People seem friendly and mostly happy.

Manufactured fake outrage. "Artists" and news sites have to keep trying to offend, and it's mostly boring.

I don't think I know anyone who would care about that either.

They are more interested in what new roses the neighbors are getting from Texas.