Evil Designers Guide to Copying Patents

I'm going to tick off some patent owners. :P

1) Patent owners are not god and see everything everywhere. Play the odds...There's a good chance of never being discovered. 2) Some copied tech can be epoxy encapsulated. Is a patent owner going to spend days picking away at epoxy to see if it's a copy? Maybe filing off chip numbers will help. 3) Deny copying the patent.. I didn't make that! :) Be a non-existent, unregistered, unlicensed company. 4) Find out if the patent owner is poor.. Most likely the person is too broke for a patent legal battle. 5) Avoid mass production of the copied patent. 6) Have the copied patent made overseas. Have it disguised as another product when it's imported. 7) Maybe improve or degrade the patent so that's it's different. 8) Don't release schematics. Maybe have fake schematics too. 9) If you're not making much money on the copied patent.. You think you'll get sued over a few hundred dollars of profit? 10) Go ahead copy away..When discovered, perhaps make a deal with the patent owner for licensing and paying back royalties.. There might be enough profit to go around. If the patent owner is greedy, then layoff everybody, liquidate the company and start all over again by copying somebody else's patent. 11) Have you heard of any stories of people going to jail for patent infringement? 12) Get ready to mass produce the patent just before the patent expires. D from BC
Reply to
D from BC

Item 1 works quite well. Example? Cordic processing shows up in all sorts of communications chips, and I swear if you analyzed the 400 or so patents, somebody is stealing from somebody. And this doesn't include the people who just don't bother to mention they are using the algorithm. How does a competitor know you are using a cordic verses a taylor series or brute force look-up table with phase accumulation.

Too much crap is patented as the standards are quite low.

Reply to
miso

Where did you develop this unrealistic evaluation of a patent's contents?

I knew a dog once, who could pick up any mangy stick or piece of trash and convince every other dog in the neighbourhood to chase after him for it.

His best trick was abandoning one 'gem', and picking up another at random. The other dogs could never figure it out.

RL

Reply to
legg