ESD zap

Not so bad at large V or dV/dt I think. GDTs are probably more available (and better spec'd), though.

Come to think of it... yes, neons are still available, starting from $0.63/singles at Digikey. Only brand stocked is VCC.

Possibly the smallest GDT at Digikey is 1812,

with a similar price. The neon is actually cheaper! No idea if assembly / size costs would account for that though. Or style points, but that could go either way.

Even so, GDTs, SIDACs and junction diodes allow a bit of spikiness through. Which may be fine after all. A follow-up RC would probably be a good touch, supposing schottky diodes or TVSs are inadmissible in the present subject.

Which is another good way to handle this situation, a junction diode as big as capacitance and/or leakage allows, and a TVS or zener (often pre-biased). Single chip (possibly monolithic) arrays are made for this purpose, which is handy around high speed ports like USB, HDMI, etc.

I've seen boards with shark-tooth pads between certain mains traces. Odd thing is, in one example, they were oriented across the common-mode choke, not to ground, or hot-to-neutral. How much common mode RF were they expecting that that could be a problem?!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

On a sunny day (Tue, 29 Apr 2014 03:45:22 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Dunno, any data on that?

Some years ago I bought a nice overvoltage protection plug in socket for in the mains, it has thsose spark-gaps, and a bunch of VDRs, and a neon for signalling power is [still] on...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Den tirsdag den 29. april 2014 00.23.58 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

how about something like this at the input?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Interesting, the spec sheet says the terminal needed to be potted in something to obtain the max voltage...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That makes a lot of sense actually. I'd bet a good cleaning and conformal coat would greatly raise the sparkover voltage for ordinary parts too. Sharp edges, leakage paths, and all that...

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Those are really slick, if John can tolerate the 25v breakdown.

The USB2.0/3.0 transient protectors are golden, too.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

OK, this is about what I have so far:

Looks ESD hard, protected to +-50 volts overload. The 1G resistors and the lower ADC channel provide some failure detection.

The main requirement is for acquiring 100 ohm platinum RTDs, but we will make the current source programmable down to 10 uA (for cryo diodes) and 1 uA (thermistors).

Precision electronic instrumentation

My customer is also requesting +-50 volt overload protection. Which is why I'm leaning towards a low-current (ie, not shunt) protection scheme.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Not really when it only has to come on in times of bzzzzt and you just run the regular clamp diodes against it. Zeners also work well here and when at Or use two diodes to clamp rails that are weakly biased up to, say,

But that's umpteen or sometimes many dozens of parts versus just four to six. Muntz would have had a hissy fit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think one of these would do two lines of +-50V (SMDA24)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

How about a home-made spark gap diverting it to earth?

A couple pointy bits on the PCB and pull back the solder mask.

Put a hole (non-plated) at the tip so it truly is an air gap and not across the surface of the PCB.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Here's an example where they didn't use a hole (or drilled slot, this

*is* 2014, after all):

See page 22.

Relevant principle applied elsewhere:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhan

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The depletion mode FET is probably just a few tens of ohms. If someone applies +30V at the E- terminal for a longer time it could go *PHUT* along with the 100ohms resistor and then afterwards the ADC.

What about tying the gate of the depletion mode FET to a low logic rail or maybe even ground? The FET and the 100ohm should be rated appropriately, like a solid watt or so.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The fet we have in stock, DN2530, will need about 100 ohms in its source, to limit around 20 mA maybe. That cartoon doesn't show all the gory details. I'll clamp the 100r to +3.3, too, with the other half of a dual diode. The 100r will need to be switched, too, for the uA current-source cases. 10K maybe.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's a pretty good tutorial.

Plus, you don't need a permit for a girlfriend.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Wouldn't series ferrite beads (OK, surface-mount chokes) do that job as well, with less impact on signal slew rates?

The ADC presumably has low dI/dt on its inputs, but not necessarily low dV/dt.

Reply to
whit3rd

It'll work, but if one modulates the current source, those capacitors cause transient currents. Howzabout this:

the inductors are just tiny ones, so bursts of current into the ADC don't fry the little internal clamps before the external ones conduct.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 15:23:58 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

ESD potentials as low as 20 volts can cause circuit damage. No, it would not arc over (nor though) such a device as your input resistor.

You want all current clamping resistance elements to be of the bilk type. Carbon comp. There are surface mount equivalents. Metal film fails to properly abate and mutates upon each exposure. That form factor or larger should be good, but I'd get the bulk type meant for surge abatement, not simply a plain Jane COTS part. (yes, I know the parts I describe are also COTS).

ESD fields are also a consideration. This is why we wear ESD smocks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They'll saturate at the drop of a hat. Might take off a nanosecond or two. Which might still be helpful out of IEC 61000-4-2, which is pretty snappy, but won't do much for the bulk of the energy.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

You could use higher voltage transorbs (36V say) and series resistance, then let the ESD diodes of the IC take the remaining current. Or add caps there too.

I would do that, especially for low speed signals like an RTD.

I did some tests with a high voltage generator a long time ago, and it seemed the key was to put a fast clamp right at the wire where it came on to the board, to a groundplane. (In the case of board-level proection). The idea is that you don't want the end of the wire, and associated tracking, waving about at KV/ns.

This limits the spike amplitude to something reasonable, any resulting current into the circuit can be easily controlled via series R or L (since time is so short).

I started with minor disturbances crashing the micro, and ended with it surviving zaps with 2 inch arcs. We had a ~100kV generator from another project. Fun stuff.

--

John Devereux
Reply to