engineering lore

Nothing surprises me anytime the government is involved.

How much have you given the Hillary campaign?

Reply to
krw

Not enough to get me any fat military contracts or gold mines or uranium concessions, or to make any fortunes by not building housing in Haiti.

lunatic fringe electronics

Obviously not enough to even get your piece of the $20K, either.

Reply to
krw

I like old computer boards where they just went ahead and drilled holes for a couple extra DIP chips, just in case they were needed. Heck some were even silkscreened as "spare".

Even mass production items like old VCRs had stuff like this designed in, and plenty of hacked on parts and extra wiring runs. Still not sure how old VCRs were even profitable in the first place.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: >

Speaking of reel sizes, where can I get a few dozen, to maybe 100 empty seven inch reels? I have a lot of partial, surplus 13" reels, and some damaged 7" reels. I would like to spool the partials down to the smaller reels so they don't waste so much space.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I threw a pile of them away a week ago, or so. I'd send you a bunch if I still had them. I'll look around, we might have some in the lab (I generally keep my stock separate). Maybe I can ask my CM if they have any. I won't have anything like a hundred, though. Maybe JL has a bunch.

Reply to
krw

Not as good as free, but matr.com has them for '0.70 each' for 8mm and

0.75 for 12mm x 7". Shipping 50 or 100 to FL by ground more than doubles the price though.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks. I'm in no hurry for them, and I don't need them all at once. I just looked online a while back and everything was 'Ask for quote.' I spent 25 cents a reel for most of these surplus, non RHOS parts for personal projects. I paid more for the reels of transistors and ICs, but they are full, new reels.

Save some up, and I'll pay the shipping on them. There is a Lockheed Martin plant near here, but I no longer know anyone who works there. I think they shut down their board stuffing at this plant and move it to another state, so they would likely only have repair levels of parts on hand.

--
Subject: Spelling Lesson

The last four letters in American.........I Can
The last four letters in Republican.......I Can
The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson.  Test to follow in November, 2016

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent extermination month.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks. I'll keep them in mind, if I can't dig up enough used reels.