Electrolytic capacitors and reliability

It's interesting to track the reliability of electronics from the era of the TRF AM receiver up until now. This spans about 75 years. Many significant gains have been made, but there is at least one big fly in the ointment. In my observation, the biggest fly is the electrolytic capacitor.

I fully realize how small modern products must be and know about switch mode power supplies and do appreciate that electrolytics (including tantalums) are the only game in town.

Just thinking that if someone could solve the reliability problems, they would make quite an impact!

There is an interesting story now circulating about a stolen electrolyte formula (which was missing some crucial additives) and the resultant premature death of many computer motherboards. There seems to be a need for new ideas.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Polymer aluminum caps are better, in that they don't dry out. But so far they come in smaller sizes, not the beasts needed in power supplies. You could do a switcher with an L-C phase shifter on the front end (to make polyphase AC to drive the input bridge) using film caps, or even just use a ton of film caps, but it would be big and expensive.

But since we throw away everything every few years anyhow...

John