Electric airplane

He keeps saying airplane and lighter-than-air, helicopters, and the Osprey are not airplanes.

Given his demonstrated lack of languages skills, it could well be he doesn't know what the word "airplane" means.

Usually, though older airplanes, home builts, and LSA's often still use MPH.

Nowhere. There are areas with maximum speed limits like 200 kts and

250 kts, but no minimums.

In the US, if an airplane has a N number, i.e. is registered, it flys and there is no discrimination in the airspace.

Other than landing and taking off, airplanes must be operated 1000 feet above the highest obstacle within 2000 in congested areas (cities, etc.) and 500 feet in open water and sparsely populated areas (farm country, etc.).

There are LOTS of airplanes flying between 1500 and 3000 feet AGL on short flights.

All airplanes are REQUIRED to have a pressure altimeters.

He has a good deal on Star Trek shuttle craft engines.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Wings don't usually sheer off in mid air collisions.

Typically the airplane gets "bent" enough that the aerodynamics are destroyed and it becomes unflyable.

What is it that your fly-by-wire home built will be able to do that any modern airplane such as a Cirrus SR22 can't do?

What materials are you going to use to build the airframe of your home built?

If you encounter significant turbulence, what is the first thing you do and why?

You've said your airplane can fly at airpeeds between 10 MPH to 100 MPH (11.5 knots to 115 knots). There never has been an airplane that can do that. Is your Nobel acceptance speech ready?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Is there a Nobel Prize for flight?

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

There would be a Nobel in physics for discovering hitherto unknown aerodynamics that would allow an airplane to fly over a range of

10 MPH to 100 MPH.

What is it that your fly-by-wire home built will be able to do that any modern airplane such as a Cirrus SR22 can't do?

What materials are you going to use to build the airframe of your home built?

If you encounter significant turbulence, what is the first thing you do and why?

You've said your airplane can fly at airpeeds between 10 MPH to 100 MPH (11.5 knots to 115 knots). There never has been an airplane that can do that, so how are you going to do it?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

I would like to add that 10-100 knots is about 11.5-115 statute miles per hour, not the other way around.

But I still have yet to hear of aircraft without rotor wings flying and maintaining altitude and controllability at airspeed both 10 and 100 of either!

If I had an aircraft other than helicopter/Osprey sort of thing that flies controllably and maintains altitude at both 10 and 100 MPH, or both

10 and 100 knots, I would be working on a Nobel Prize acceptance speech!

Don Klipstein

I seem to think that if a fixed wing aircraft flies and maintains altitude at 10 MPH or 10 knots airspeed and also flies controllably and sustainably at 10 times as much airspeed, without requirement of building with unobtainium, then it has a fair chance of qualifying for one of the existing categories for Nobel Prize.

Don Klipstein

Oh, and as my father tells me, tell me if he is correct? Build an experimental and have it fly 200 hours airborne with same pilot and same owner without interruptions by airframe-damaging crashes? And if most or even any of those need airspeed of 30 knots or more to maintain altitude and controllability, then does that mean every cubic yard of airspace over America require aircraft moving at airspeed 10 knots or slower to have to worry about colliding with faster aircraft?

Heck, I once rode a helicopter going about 140-150 miles only 1,000 feet AGL (mostly with ground within 250 feet of sea level), mostly with airspeed that I suspect is typical and not at all slow for fixed wing aircraft used for GA use. As in about or a bit over 100 knots.

Oh, now I learn something - if an aircraft has GPS and/or radar altimeter, does it also require a pressure one? If so, is that for usefulness in areas where there is chance to interact with aircraft that have pressure altimeters and no other altimeters? Or is this so that all aircraft can clear mountains (and each other at the same time?) based on controller instructions (or navigation maps) that assume adjusted-to-current pressure altimeters, which also assume that the pilots keep their pressure altimeter settings current then and there?

Don Klipstein

Oh, the inhumanity of snipping!

Reply to
Androcles

In message , Don Klipstein writes

All vertical coordination is based on pressure altitudes.

The pilot, not the controller, is always responsible for terrain clearance.

Yes, but not entirely. In some areas, "regional pressure settings" are used: that's a pessimistic forecast of the pressure over some region for the next hour - so for that period you are guaranteed to be higher over the terrain than the altimeter is indicating.

Also, above some defined "transition altitude" (the actual value varies from place to place) altitude is defined by "flight levels", which are effective altitudes (in hundreds of feet) based on setting the altimeter to standard pressure (1013 mb, whatever that is in inches.)

Provided you're high enough to be guaranteed clear of the mountains, it's only the relative altitude of nearby aircraft that matters, and using standard pressure means you don't have the problem of constantly resetting the altimeter (and getting the data to reset it to, in remote areas.)

[this is from a European perspective - there may be some differences in US practice]
--
Richard Herring
Reply to

And what action would that be?

Do you know what the current rules for collision avoidance require?

Remember, the sky is full of other people flying your wonder-plane, making their own uncooperative autonomous decisions. There may be no "corrective actions" available that don't break the rules and endanger other aircraft.

Then evidently you didn't understand it. Does the phrase "autonomous swarm" mean anything to you?

So the good news is that if the mass ratio is large enough, only one set of passengers gets killed?

"Implies"? Which part of the laws of aerodynamics got repealed?

Unobtainium.

--
Richard Herring
Reply to

All airplanes in the US (other countries are similar) must have at a minimum:

An airspeed indicator A pressure altimeter A magnetic compass A fuel quatity indicator for each tank An oil pressure indicator for each engine An oil quantity measuring device for each tank (e.g. a dipstick) A tachometer for each engine

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

It is the same in the US except we use 29.92" instead of 1013 mb.

Such things are pretty concistant world wide by treaty.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to