Electric airplane

Like the man said, first show an idea that has merit, show that it works, and give real answers, not vague hand waving

Here's three simple questions for you:

What would your fly-by-wire GA class airplane be able to do that any modern GA airplane like the Cirrus SR22 can't do?

What materials would you use to contruct your airframe?

If you encounter significant turbulence, what is the first thing you do and why?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

In message , bg_fisted writes

With all that water, you'll need a commodity in-seat drain, too ;-/.

--
Richard Herring
Reply to

What, like ADS-B and TCAS already do?

There already are.

Sure. Just a SMOP (in your universe). What do you propose that the pilot should *do*, when he receives this alert?

Did you bother to read what I wrote about emergent complexity and scalability before you snipped it?

Do you mean collisions between aircraft? I'm struggling to imagine a "less dangerous" one, regardless of what they're made of or what propels them. As for collisions with the ground, I can assure you the ground usually wins.

--
Richard Herring
Reply to

Really? You calculated the electron dispersion relation and the Brillouin zones and the Fermi surfaces for all your semiconducting materials, just to get the gain of a transistor? Impressive.

Feynman integrals? Impressive.

--
Richard Herring
Reply to

Take corrective action.

Yes.

Hitting the ground hard would hurt either way. But I imagine that, for give masses M1 and M2 of two aircraft, not all mid-air collisions would be equally catastrophic. Speed of each machine would matter [which implies that super-slow flight would be possible], as well as their individual structure. Also, for a given seat configuration, structural strength to weight ratio would probably matter.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Yet more arm waving, babbling nonsense.

A mid air collision between two aircraft at any speed generally results in the aircraft falling out of the sky due to either loss of aerodynamics (the lift goes away) or controllability..

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Always?

What if the aircraft are blimps?

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

I said generally, can't you read?

What about it?

Blimps by their very nature are fragile, as can be verified by the families of the 12 people who died when G-1 collided with L-1 on June 8, 1942.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Always?

What if the aircraft are blimps?

-Le Chaud Lapin- ====================================== Generally, yes. Even blimps, and he said "generally". He's right, you are babbling nonsense.

===================================== Le Chaud Lapin - 0, snipped-for-privacy@specsol.spam.sux.com 1 =====================================

Reply to
Androcles

It would seem that there might be a correlation between degree-of- catastrohpe and the nature of the construction, mass, velocity...of the aircraft.

IOW, a collision between two light-weight, slow-moving vehicles, which no exposed moving parts (propeller, jet,..) might be, generally speaking, less catastrophic than two heavy-weight, fast-moving vehicles with props, especially if the prop itself participates in the collision.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Duh.

M60 tank versus Toyota Prius head on, who wins?

Not much market for aircraft that fly less than 10 MPH.

Let's see, two people, that's about 400 pounds to start with.

Add a structure, a real (not a Star Trek fantasy) engine, wheels, seats, windscreen, fuel tanks, fuel, etc. and now you have better than a thousand pounds.

And once again, there isn't much of a market for aircraft that fly less than 10 MPH.

What is it that your fly-by-wire home built will be able to do that any modern airplane such as a Cirrus SR22 can't do?

What materials are you going to use to build the airframe of your home built?

If you encounter significant turbulence, what is the first thing you do and why?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

ults

My OP said "one-seater".

If by "real", you mean ICE, that might be difference in opinion. You are imagining something that looks more or less like a Cessna.

Unless 10 mph is one of several ranges.

There are many reasons someone might like to momentarily fly 10 mph.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

OK, subtract about 200 pounds, you are still left with close to a thousand pounds.

No, real means real and something that is obtainable as something other than a Star Trek prop from a memorabilia dealer.

So there is only "momentarily" a chance of a mid air collision?

What is it that your fly-by-wire home built will be able to do that any modern airplane such as a Cirrus SR22 can't do?

What materials are you going to use to build the airframe of your home built?

If you encounter significant turbulence, what is the first thing you do and why?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Momentarily meaning that sometimes 10 mph is desirable, and sometimes

100 mph is desirable, and sometimes speeds in between is desirable, so an aircraft where entire range is accessible might be desirable.

Then, two aicraft, traveling 10mph each, colliding, might not result in catastrophic failure. Depending on how aircraft is constructed, it might happen that most low-speed collisions do not result in catastrophic failure. For example, an aircraft with exposed propeller might result in more damage than one without.

So a lot depends on the design of the aircraft. It is not an inherent necessity of flying that most collisions result in catastrophic failure. That is only an attribute of existing aircraft.

-Le Chuad Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

And in your fantasy world aircraft are going to be spending the majority of their time at less than 10 MPH?

What is it that your fly-by-wire home built will be able to do that any modern airplane such as a Cirrus SR22 can't do?

What materials are you going to use to build the airframe of your home built?

If you encounter significant turbulence, what is the first thing you do and why?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

less

Why do you say "majority of their time at less than 10 MPH?"?

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Do you know what a "?" at the end of a sentence means?

What is it that your fly-by-wire home built will be able to do that any modern airplane such as a Cirrus SR22 can't do?

What materials are you going to use to build the airframe of your home built?

If you encounter significant turbulence, what is the first thing you do and why?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

In , Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

An aircraft staying airborne at 10 MPH sounds to me like:

  • A lighter-than-air craft (tell me how it will achieve 100 MPH) - may still have trouble weathering a 10 MPH collision
  • something slow and fragile, towards the Gossamer Condor or the Gossamer Albatross (tell me how this will survive a 10 MPH collission or achieve 100 MPH)
  • Helicopter or Osprey sort of a thing (with collisions involving rotor contact usually being catastrophic)

I am not a pilot, I merely know one and know weather well, and I know that airspeed is normally expressed in knots - nautical miles per hour.

Also, an aircraft that is airborne at very slow airspeed still has to deal with sharing airspace with fixed wing aircraft that need airspeeds mostly near or over 40 knots to be airborne, unless the slow aircraft is restricted to where Cessnas and Piper Cubs are prohibited but aircraft are permitted (where?). Helicopters have some expectation of moving at speeds fairly usual for fixed wing aircraft unless they are hovering - usually either close to the ground or in urban areas usually within TCA areas below the TCA conical area. Ultralights are prohibited in urban areas - don't plan on much utilization of ultralights (or much of anything else besides news/traffic helicopters and police helicopters) where helicopters have much use of hovering at 1,000 feet or whatever in urban areas. And outside TCA areas, fixed wing aircraft are allowed at 1,000 and 2,000 feet!

And farming areas have some incidence of fixed wing aircraft spraying insecticides or whatever onto farms at low altitudes, and that may require permits from FAA.

Also keep in mind that most smaller aircraft have pressure altimeters, subject to frequent need for adjustment according to reports from nearest airport, and are still inherently inaccurate far from that airport in a significant pressure pattern and also inherently inaccurate far from the airport altitude unless the average temperature from yours to that of the reporting airport is "close to average". Do you plan on having a pressure altimeter, a radar altimeter (which reportas altitude above ground, while you need to know your altitude above sea level and thus ground elevation every mile of the way)? Or a GPS-based altimeter (reporting latitude above sea level)? Regardless of altimeter type, you need to know how high the ground is to be above the ground to the proper extent and also be above sea level to the proper/planned extent.

So tell us what your aircraft without an exposed propeller is. Does it merely have the propeller within a tube and/or screens?

If you want patent protection first, a provisional patent application (with deadline to use towards a full utility patent application of 1 year) costs maybe $130 or so last time I checked. Plus something cose to $15 for Express Mail, which is the *significantly* preferred way to submit an application by mail - otherwise learn how to do so online to USPTO. Include at least one drawing, at least one claim, and at least some sort of "detailed description" to be used with the drawing(s) to describe the invention. It helps to make some effort to achieve some resemblance to an actual utility patent application or an actual granted patent or published patent application. For a provisional, my experience indicates little or no harm to omit assignee, references, and "application data sheet" (or whatever that is). But you have a deadline of 1st anniversary of the provisional filing date (mailing date if via Express Mail) to use the provisional towards a full utility patent application. In a provisional, the drawing does not need to be of formal quality, but there are technical requirements if the filing is done online. In a full utility application, drawings do not need to be of "formal quality", but should be good enough to make a decent impression upon the patent examiner. If you get an assignee lined up or have plans to use the patent for your own manufacture, then you should have in the budget a draftsperson for "formal quality" patent drawings once you get notice that you have claims allowed (you will get a patent) and accordingly notification of requirement for drawings to be redone to "formal quality" if they are not there yet.

So you can get patent protection for somewhat over $100 and a little work and some commitment.

Keep in mind that your aircraft is subject to collission with "existing aircraft". How does that affect collision survivability to your aircraft or the other aircraft? Can a Cessna survive colliding with your aircraft at 40-60-plus knot airspeed? Can your aircraft survive such a collission?

Don Klipstein

"Oh! The humanity!"

--
Keith
Reply to

s it

Cannot say yet because...

I do.

)

I used the Disclosure Document Program before it was discontinued in favor of Provisional Patent:

Reference for others:

ng

ft

ft

on?

It is hard to say without doing any simulations, but as I envision it, a Cessna's prop would cause much damage to my aircraft if my aircraft came in contact with the prop. Otherwise, whether it could continue to fly woulddepend much on the dynamics of the collision. Two of my aircraft colliding with each other would cause very severe jolt, but would probably leave the planes flyable. The "wings" on my aircraft would be "atypical", so it would be harder to sheer them off during collision. I would include a parachute with each airframe.

I discussed design with my flight school owner, and it was agreed providing a disproportinate amount of protection to the pilot, versus the aircraft, is not a bad idea, if costs would be so significantly reduced.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin