Effects of gaps in inductors and transformers

In a thread in SEB there was a discussion on transformer failure modes that also mentioned gaps in the magnetic path. I never fully understood the function of gaps in the core, but I observed that they are generally present in iron core inductors, but not in most transformers.

I found some information at

where it is explained that the gap size can maximize energy storage in an inductor by balancing the point of magnetic saturation (and core heating) with winding losses. It seems that a wider (or longer) core gap extends the point of magnetic saturation by allowing more current to flow through the windings, so the effect is to lower the inductance. A smaller gap will have higher inductance, but will saturate the core much more quickly, resulting in less energy storage.

As an inductor is used more for energy storage, a gap (whether actually cut in the magnetic material or distributed as with powdered iron), allows more energy storage by allowing more current flow, and energy is proportional to the square of the current. For a transformer, as I understand it, the energy is transferred from the primary to secondary by mutual inductance, so the absense of a gap results in higher inductance and a higher volts per turn.

More information can be found at

which describes filter inductor design.

I would like to get a better understanding of the characteristics of transformers and inductors to know how best to design high current 50/60 Hz transformers as well as switch mode boost converters using inductors.

The transformers I have made use toroidal primary cores with 120/240 VAC windings, and secondaries consisting of several turns of bus bar or welding cable to produce up to 10s of thousands of amps. They will usually produce

15 to 30 times their nominal output currents for short pulses.

The switch mode boost converter I have designed uses a 10 uH inductor at

100 kHz to boost 12 VDC to 25 or 45 VDC at about 800 mA. However, I recently found that a small pot core inductor rated at 6.7 amps seemed to work better than a larger toroidal inductor rated at 10.8 amps. I think this might be because the smaller inductor starts to saturate sooner, lowering its inductance but allowing more current to flow, resulting in higher energy storage. The larger inductor is probably allowing much less current and hence less energy, so it cannot produce the power for the higher voltage load. I can probably drop the frequency to 75 kHz or 60 KHz and maybe get the output I need.

Thanks for any thoughts and discussion.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

at

where it is

This is not quite the right way to describe what is going on.

The maximum magnetic field you can build up in the magnetic path is independent of the gap - it is limited by the saturation flux for the core material. The number of ampere-turns of current through the winding required to generate that flux depends on the magnetic path length. The magnetic path length through the core itself is divided by the relative permeability of the core (about 1000 times air for ferrites, and 10,000 times air for iron) so even a small air-gap can dramatically increase the magnetic path length.

A ten-fold increase in magnetic path length allows a ten fold increase in current through the winding before you ht stuaration, and reduces the inductance of the assembly by a factor of ten, thus allowing a factor of ten increase in the energy stored in the inductance (LI^2) before saturation sets in.

A gap in a transformer core increases the leakage inductance, which is usually undesirable.

Moreoever, a transformer isn't usually used as an energy storage device, so increasing the energy storage capacity is rarely a design priority.

at

At 100kHz you probably need to worry more about inter-winding capacitance. The detailed structure of the windings can get to be very important at this sort of frequency. The pot core may well have a two or four section former with the windings built up as two or four successive sections, while the toriod is more likely to have its windings built up as successive layers, one on top of another, which gives a higher winding capacitance and a lower self-resonant frequency.

At even higher frequencies, you have to restrict yourself to single- layer windings to keep the interwinding capacitance within bounds, and eventually you have to go over to transmission line transformers.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

With the flyback converter being the counterexample for both. As more and more electronics are powered by switchers instead of linear supplies, and as most of those are flybacks, the day may come when transformers are indeed "usually" used for energy storage.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Sloppy word usage. Flybacks don't use transformers. They use coupled inductors.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

I guess you're right.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

OK. That is very helpful in understanding the principles involved. The gaps I saw in some large C-core inductors I have are about 0.1", and the laminated steel has a length of about 10". So if the magnetic path length is increased to 1000, that is a 100 fold decrease in inductance, allowing

100 times the ampere turns, and thus 100 times the energy. This is a 100 mH inductor rated about 10 amperes.

Thank you for that information. I had posted on SEB that some small transformers may be made with a gap to make them impedance protected in case of an output overload or short. There are probably other ways to achieve this effect with looser coupling. As I had posted there, it comes at the price of low efficiency and poor regulation, but that's what is desired for self-protection.

The toroid has only about 10 turns of approx #16 wire on a core about 0.75" x 0.37". I don't know the internal construction of the pot core, but it is only about 0.5" square and 0.3" high. It most likely has several layers of windings.

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Small, impractical nit: Won't the flux continue to increase with current, at a declining effective permeability, approaching u=1 at full saturation of the iron? Admittedly, this is a pretty low slope, but I don't think it goes to zero.

I know a guy who has a secret process for treating metglas, up to a permeability of about 1e6.

John

Sure, but you don't usually want your transformer or inductor to go into saturation. Currents go through the roof, the magnetic field extends outside the core material and so forth. Of course I once built a starter for a xenon lamp where the step-up transformer spent most of its time during start-up - probably a few microseconds - in saturation. I still eventually got my 20kV across the secondary, enough to get the electrodes to spark over, initiating the discharge - initially as a glow discharge, rapildy developing into an arc.

For many years Telcom metals have sold a bunch of funny alloys - mu- metal amongst others - offering permeabilities of the order of 1e5.

You've got to anneal them after you've deformed them into the shape you want to get these high permeabilities. National Standards labs use this sort of material as cores in precision ratio transformers. Hardly anybody else can afford it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Ha! I have a stack of Telcon HCR (square loop) and Mumetal toroids in stock, and even 1000:1 400Hz CT's wound on HCR. You can have some to play with..... cost you though. :)

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

There are many different reasons as to why magnetic circuits are gapped. For the switching power supply application, the main reason is to prevent core saturation under a DC bias and the gap is usually sized by volume so that the 1/2*mu*B^2 due to the DC is stored in the non-saturating gap. In an ac-transformer application, the load current has little to do with core flux density theoretically. The flux density is only determined by the primary voltage as this sets the dB/dt magnetization in the core, and the net flux due to the load current in primary and secondary is zero.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

If you look at any hunky arc welder, even a small one is 200A rated secondary, you will notice that the current adjust dial is mechanically linked to a chunk of laminated iron that is moved in and out of a big gap in the core, directly adjusting the reluctance of the magnetic circuit and the magnitude of flux linked with the secondary.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

usually when designing a flyback style transformer, the input & output voltages and max duty cycle set the turns ratio.

then choose a core, a switching frequency and the peak flux density (< Bsat at max Tcore).

then select the primary turns to give the desired Bmax,

Np = Vin*Ton/(Bmax*Ae)

then choose the air gap to give the correct inductance. If the air gap is -ve, you've picked the wrong core. And unless the gap is very small, just assume all of the energy is stored in the gap, and use

Lmag = mu_0*Np^2*Ae/l_gap so

l_gap = mu_0*Np^2*Ae/Lmag so

Reply to
Terry Given
[snip]

You need the following sums

L = uoueN^2Ae/Le

B = uoueNI/Le

H = NI/Le

dI = VinTon/L

You are not allowed to use one sum without thinking about how it might affect another one. You avoid that sort of sophistry by using all the sums to find your answer.

The B field don't depend on the core.

Choice 1) Do Sums. Choice 2) Use sophistry to prove it does.

Subsequently

Choice 1) Problem Solved. Choice 2) Invoke 'Ad Hominem' Attack strategy.

A gap affects ue. There is something about permeance and reluctance which is something like conductance and resistance. The gap appears in series with things so/but you get the answer by adding the reluctances.

Unfortunately designing magnetic components is hard because there are too many variables to play with.

N = LI/BAe

Works

But then you might need

AwAe = LIpkIrms/BpkJK

To get a first guess at what the size of your core should be. J and K are the guesses.... and then Bpk ignores the core loss so you might adjust something else for another guess. J ignores the winding losses so..... you might have to guess again.

Do you trust the software?

Leakage inductance has nothing to do with uncoupled flux. It's down to energy stored in the field(s) between the windings, series term.

If you want to control stuff then you might control the coupling of the flux and that is a parallel thing.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I don't think I need to go through all that calculation, especially when I am using off the shelf components (but I appreciate the information). The actual circuit performance and waveforms closely match what I see in LTspice. I was just surprised that the toroidal inductor rated at higher current did not produce as much output power. It may be that the smaller inductor (Sumida CDR127/LD100) may have more effective gap and thus allow higher current than the larger toroid (Miller 2101-H-RC). I have ordered 8 pieces of the board, and will soon be able to test them. They are designed so I can use either the on-board SMT inductor, or an external toroid, or both in parallel.

Basically, I can predict the maximum current in the inductor, and hence the energy stored, vs frequency. Using LTspice with a 61 ohm load, I found that at 200 kHz and 70% duty cycle the maximum inductor current with 12 VDC at

10 uH is 4.4A (Energy = 97 uW-sec * 0.2 = 19.4 W), and I get 40 volts (26.2 W). At 100 kHz, I can get 48 volts (37.7W) with a maximum inductor current of 8 A (32 W). The actual inductor current in the first case, which is running in continuous mode, includes a DC component of 650 mA from the 12 volt source. Adding that gives a power contribution from the battery of 7.8 watts in the first case and 9.4 watts in the second.

The maximum output will be generated when the inductor starts charging again after its energy has been discharged into the output capacitor, so there will be no "dead time". With 12 volts, the inductor charges to 8.4 A in 7 uSec, and it takes 3 uSec to charge the output capacitor, for 70% duty cycle. The output is about 48 VDC into 61 ohms, or 38 watts. I calculate the average input power to be about 70% of sqrt(8.4*8.4/2) * 12 V = 35.3 watts, plus the 780mA * 12V = 9.4W from the battery, or 44.7. I'm guessing at this, but the simulator measured input watts to be 43, so I'm close. This is 82% efficiency.

I'm running simulations in LTspice, and I think they are pretty much correct, but I am still a little puzzled. In the continuous mode operation at 200 kHz, I can see the DC component through the inductor as a 388 mA minimum current. I get input power of 28.77 W and output of 25.77 W or

89.5% efficiency. In the discontinuous mode at 100 kHz, I get 38.7 watts out, 43.1 watts in, and 89.8% efficiency. However, I have a hard time grasping how it can output 38.7 watts when there is almost no inductor current (It's actually negative) 10% of the time, and peak energy of 320 uW-Sec at 100 kHz or 32 watts. Maybe I'm simplifying the calculation too much. The true power is probably the integral of the peak energy (0.5*I^2*L) over the entire waveform, times frequency. OK, when I do that, I get an average of about 98 uJ, but a peak of 316 uJ = 31.6 W.

BTW, a good reference for transformers, inductors, and other AC devices is:

The entire series is very good.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

is:

I'm not impressed. I don't trust any article on transformers that doesn't include the transformer equations

V1= L1. dI1/dt + M. d I2/dt

V2= M. dI1/dt + L2. d I2/dt

Modelling a transformer as an "ideal" transformer plus leakage inductances doesn't give the same insight, and it certainly doesn't give you the right insight.

Incidentally, M above is less than the geometric mean of L1 and L2 - the ratio of M to the geometric mean of L1 and L2 is the coupling coefficient, and can be very close to one for good transformers with high permeability cores.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Who's that?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Julian Bergoz.

John

John Larkin a écrit :

Well, I meant, is he, his company,... selling this. Is there a website?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

His company is...

but if you ggogle his name, you'll get all sorts of interesting stuff. He's a very cool guy, and does some outrageous magnetics. He sponsors the "Farady Cup" awards, which is a pretty good English pun for a French-sponsored award.

John

John Larkin a écrit :

Interesting stuff. Thanks. And we are less than 1 and 1/2 hour drive away.

--
Thanks,
Fred.