ee books

It's more than video with the course I linked- they have online problem sets that can be customized so every student gets different numbers (makes blantant cheating a little more difficult), and that software includes browser-based SPICE simulation.

No big deal for most of us, but someone in a 3rd world country with a cheap laptop or sitting at an internet cafe could have most of the advantages.

Very disruptive, especially to lower-tier educational institutions.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

snip

There's this nice "book" (well not really a book, more a series of lab exercises) called Zap

put together by guys at MIT and Caltech. They added a soldering iron to your above mix.

I always thought it would be nice to do a take home type of lab/ electronics course. One might even think of doing some sort of sound card/ waveform capture onto a 'puter.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Considering the cost of courses, you could supply a whole mini-lab for the neophyte as part of a reasonable (~$2K) tuition. Rigol or Owon oscilloscope, triple-output bench supply, decent multimeter, solderless breadboard, bag of parts.

Didn't those matchbook-cover technician courses used to advertise something like that?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

People need to learn how to solder. It's a basic life skill.

Those white plastic breadboards are awful. I'll make them do something like this:

Most of the interns that I hire say "sure, I can solder." They can't. We send them down to production for some lessons.

Precision electronic instrumentation

A wet-behind-the-ears grad isn't an expert, anyway.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You work for the government, right? The usual calculation is 50 weeks per year at 40 hours per week = 2000 hours per year.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Lots of great suggestions listed here and I don't know that I can improve o n the content but by all means read one article of Jim Williams "Try fixing it yourself"

-Try-fixing-it-yoursel

Then if you get to wondering more about this guy you can look for EDN artic les, find a collection of application notes on the Linear Tech website and, if your so inclined, check out the blog http://readingjimwilliams.blogspot .com/.

In this day when every task can be accomplished using IC's there seems to b e a lack of knowledge regarding the bipolar transistor. So one recommendati on if you need to use bipolars is Motorola's High Speed Switching Transisto r Handbook. You can buy it for a few bucks or search for it online where it has recently been made available free electronically.

Reply to
bemigall

I was designing flight hardware for the S1B and the C5A, and marine automation systems, and pipeline supervisory controls, before I graduated. I had two jobs, one wife, two cars, three motorcycles, and a sailboat. I had more energy in those days.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You work for the government, right? ;-)

Reply to
krw

on the content but by all means read one article of Jim Williams "Try fixi ng it yourself"

95-Try-fixing-it-yoursel

icles, find a collection of application notes on the Linear Tech website an d, if your so inclined, check out the blog http://readingjimwilliams.blogsp ot.com/.

be a lack of knowledge regarding the bipolar transistor. So one recommenda tion if you need to use bipolars is Motorola's High Speed Switching Transis tor Handbook. You can buy it for a few bucks or search for it online where it has recently been made available free electronically.

Excellent! (I've read some of the 'reading Jim W.' blogspot.) The motorola handbook is also here...

(one more book, and I'll have to send 'em some money.) My summer reading list is filling up fast! I'm gonna need a kindle type reading thing ...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You have high expectations. Nothing wrong with that, but you must be disappointed often. ;-)

Reply to
miso

I came across "Radar Cross Section" by Knott, Shaeffer and Tuley. Damn interesting stuff.

Reply to
miso

Ditto, though the last copy I've bought was the 2nd edition. It is a classic.

AoE got so much praise that I tracked down a copy. OK I guess, but certainly not Gray and Meyer level.

Reply to
miso

Bracewell

I used the book as well. The course was taught by a Texan, which made it entertaining to all the technotalk in a heavy drawl.

But without digging it up and dusting it off, it was all continuous time. Good for a lot of things, but you want sampled data systems these days.

I remember doing some heat transfer boundary value problem in undergrad. Neat, but my immediate assumption was some computer could solve the problem with finite element analysis, with a whole lot less stress on my brain.

Shafer and Oppenheim is the DSP book I started with.

Reply to
miso

I second this suggestion as long as we are talking about editions 10 or more years old. The recent editions does not have as much in depth information as previous editions. Compare this with the "interviews" thread :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

Dunno. I just like books written by the guy who invented the idea, because he had to have a clear conception of it. You don't have to work through all the math to get the benefit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The second edition has a lot more bipolar stuff than the newer ones.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There are a lot of folks who can't go from continuous time to discrete time, or from time to frequency, though. Bracewell develops discrete time as a special case of continuous time, which is what it is, and that makes it much more natural.

Our continuous-time notions of bandwidth and SNR work fine in the discrete-time domain.

Bracewell talks about fast algorithms too. (He invented the Fast Hartley Transform.)

The stress on your brain is what makes you smarter, though. It's a plus and not a minus.

I like O&S as well. It's also in my Good Books list posted above.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think you should do it.

Filter paper with some salt solution might work OK.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A friend of mine says, "The good news about being a consultant is that every day is Saturday. The bad news is that you work Saturdays."

Such as today. (But I'm taking a half-holiday.)

I spent all yesterday ripping apart expensive home theatre systems (and not one but two brand-new PS4s) and testing the fragments of their optical pickup heads.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs