ee books

Hans Camenzind's (RIP) book is more oriented toward IC design, but the price is right ($0 for the online version and cheap for the paper one).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Rick Lyons' "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" is pretty good for that. I thought it was relying a bit too much on the reader having taken and forgotten a signals & systems course -- there's some stuff in there that is a bit too hand-wavey for me -- but for this guy it may be great.

For that matter, the ARRL handbook has a LOT of what you're asking for -- their goal is to have a book that a non-EE can read and then go design radios, so they toss a lot of practical knowledge around without doing any derivations as such.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I have an autographed copy... he had me proof it before publication. ...Jim Thompson

Speaking as an outsider - and I don't know exactly what his msee experience is

- I would start at least with a basic understanding of circuit mechanics - something like 'electronic self teaching course' - Amdahl

The answer is that the really good electronics teaching book has never been written, imo. I knew a chess champion (it was entertaining to go with him to chess places where he was unknown.) - I asked him how I could train myself to be a good chess player. He gave me exercises like "Put the piece on the board and visualize all the places it can go to." (simplified)

In another venue, I took a music class. In that class, the training was to sing the scales - do re me etc. That is what most really good musicians do. Very simple.

So - in analog electronics, I find the challenge is to get a "feel" for the topological relations between circuit elements. I can identify the feedback loop for an op-amp, but sometimes circuits with a zener here, a diode there, are confusing. I submit there might be a series of mental exercises to learn to think topologically - circuitly. combinatorally.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
haiticare2011

when I was at uni were had to buy an Ott book, "Noise reduction techniques" or something like that

it was expensive, something like $200+ ~15 years ago

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Better to download it. I've had such links vanish a few years down the road. Plus then you don't have to download it when on a slow connection in the boonies.

Real men grew up with tube designs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No RF power? I've had several projects where clients said that they have to blast xxx watts at xx MHz into a load from hell and that so far everything has blown to smittereens, and whether I could design something that won't blow and cost less than xx bucks.

It's a good company. The only thing I do not like is that they advocated splitting ground planes a bit too much. That's why I think it would be nice if every engineer does a few military designs early in their career that get EMP-tested. That provides some sobering lessons on grounding.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I downloaded it, but also book-marked the parent link... there are other books there that I want to come back and peruse titles.

I never saw a transistor until I was 16. Even then, I built mostly toob stuff... UltraLinear stereos, etc ;-) Then I went to Motorola, where I had an infinite supply... there a I built a pair of 30W audio amplifiers with Motorola RF power devices.

I can still design toob stuff, actually quite easy to do... just think of them as high voltage depletion-mode FET's with some significant channel-length modulation >:-} ...Jim Thompson

AoE of course, but I think he has it Phil Hobbs' electro-optics book Jim Williams' two collections on analog circuit design An old copy of Reference Data for Radio Engineers Williams and Taytlor's filter book.

You've had Floyd M. Gardner's "Phase Lock Techniques" ISBN 0-471-04294-3 and Joerg mentioned Pressman's "Switching Power Supply Design" ISBN 0-07-052236-7.

Ralph Morrison's "Grounding and Shielding Techniques" ISBN 0-471-245218-6 is good. It's a bit old, but it's truly brilliant on the basics, though it doesn't include the transformer equation.

I've got a copy of Rayner and Kibble's "Coaxial AC Bridges" ISBN 0-85274-389-0 which is essentially standards lab stuff, and tells you more about transformers than you'll ever want to know, still without including the transformer equation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ADI is mostly good but has burned us a couple of times lately. Some of their data sheets are, seems to me, deliberately obscuring undesirable chip behavior, when they should be warning us about it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I've been considering teaching a course, Electronics from Scratch (EfS). May be time to do it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin Wrote in message:

Ian Hickman: Analog Circuits Cookbook Wes Hayward: Introduction to RF Design

Two oldies but goodies for fun:

Electric Transmission Lines, Skilling (my copy is dated 1951) Probability and Information Theory With Applications to Radar, Woodward (1953)

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup

Bracewell.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, I think it is an expanded version of that.

Looks like it's about $80 now, economies of scale perhaps.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Shouldn't a MSEE, like, know that stuff already?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup
Reply to
bitrex

Up to a point. I took Bracewell's class as a first-year grad student, and learned a whole lot. He teaches you how to think in Fourier space, which is a huge asset, like learning to think in German or Mandarin, but much easier. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

+1, except for the electronics bits.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm a fan of that one too. It's old enough that it has lots and lots of good analogue stuff, e.g. wire-ORing emitter detectors on several different phases to make an envelope detector. Beautiful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think, there were already more serious book suggestions from the SED locals than he's ever gonna read ...

But if he understands a little French *, why not, tongue in cheek, suggest

Probably out of print since ages immemorial, but scanned PDFs are easy to find nowadays. It's obviously ancient, and very basic, but it should give one the right "feel" for analog electronics, probably better than anything else I've seen.

Cheers Dimitrij

  • Translations in many languages exist, but I did not find an English one right now.
Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

And here it is downloadable:

Phil Hobbs