ee books

After buying the 2nd edition I gave my 1st one to a library because this kind of literature doesn't really age much. Students often can't afford books like that. Sure enough, right afterwards I needed the error budget graph for passive Hilbert transform stages. That wasn't included in the new edition because they probably figured that everyone does that with DSPs these days.

As I grow older I am realizing that my reading time in books is way, way down, my lab bench time is substantially reduced and all that freed up time is spent on the simulator now. Which is not too healthy for a human body so I got myself a new mountain bike. And I just took a friend's new fat bike for a spin, 4" wide tires, what a ride!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Dive in and do it. No better way to get a grasp and find out why the diodes are where they are, imho.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

nd learned a whole lot. He teaches you how to think in Fourier space, whi ch is a huge asset, like learning to think in German or Mandarin, but much easier. ;)

Thinking in German is basically thinking in English. Both languages are Ger manic, and split about 1200 years ago.

Mandarin is more different, but thinking in Fourier space is a very differe nt kind of flexibility - as Phil says, much easier, but a much more radical ly different way of thinking.

My feeling is that thinking on Fourier space is essentially about fitting a n orthogonal set of sine waves to a linear sequence of observations, and sh ould be seen as a sub-set of fitting a linear sequence with other orthogona l sets of functions (Hadamard sequences comes to mind) though sine waves ar e particularly handy.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Nah, I'd rather pay $88 plus shipping for it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ce in analog circuit design. He's very smart and wants to learn. Of course I'll teach him what I know, but I figure I'd get him some good books, too.

Which may minimise the dire consequences of John Larkin teaching him the st uff that only John Larkin knows (and other people have learned not to know) .

ce is - I would start at least with a basic understanding of circuit mechan ics - something like 'electronic self teaching course' - Amdahl

en written, imo. I knew a chess champion (it was entertaining to go with h im to chess places where he was unknown.) - I asked him how I could train myself to be a good chess player. He gave me exercises like "Put the piece on the board and visualize all the places it can go to." (simplified)

o sing the scales - do re me etc. That is what most really good musicians d o. Very simple.

It isn't when it is done right. Malcolm Gladwell in his book "Outliers" pop ularised the idea that it takes 10,000 hours of "directed practice" to mast er a complex skills.

Most students of music need a good teacher to make sure that the practice i s directed to building up expertise in the areas where the student is weak.

Malcolm Gladwell was essentially popularising the work of

which does put more emphasis on the "directed" part of directed practice.

he topological relations between circuit elements. I can identify the feed back loop for an op-amp, but sometimes circuits with a zener here, a diode there, are confusing. I submit there might be a series of mental exercises to learn to think topologically - circuitly. combinatorally.

Get a job with a scientific instruments company that has been selling elect ronic instruments for many years - HP comes to mind. Look at a lot of their circuits and work out how they work. That should provide you with enough p ractice. Getting a job with them might be difficult.

I started off with Kent Instruments, who made devices for measuring fluid f low, and a pile of process control gear - the project that got me hired was probably their vortex-shedding flow meter, which was weird enough that the y figured that they needed to put a Ph.D. onto it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Don't see mentioned here of an oldy, Philbrick "Application Manual for Ope rational Amplifiers". Printed 1968. Used it along with NI publications and TTL Cookbook to more or less learn electronics. TTL book is in pieces aft er building first major project with 43 TTL IC's and a couple Burr Brown an alog modules. This happened before CMOS and microprocessors became common.

Reply to
kennewton2000

An amazing display of self-promotion. If you want to get really good at something, it takes about 5 years of full time work. Who knew? ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It certainly hasn't taken me 10K hours to learn to ski, or to cook. I learned to finish sheetrock in about 2 hours. I was writing compilers and RTOS's and control system simulators within a year or so after I got my hands on a computer, certainly a lot less than 10K hours.

Sloman has certainly spent 10,000 hours generating lame insults, and he's still not any good at it. Maybe his LC oscillator will actually oscillate after 10,000 hours of effort.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You got your BSEE in how long?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Took me five years! But certainly not 10,000 hours. I had other things going on at the time.

Precision electronic instrumentation

John Contact EdX or Coursera. They are MOOCs - Massive Online Open Course providers Let's see - $5 a head times 1ooo per week - hmm hmm marketing exposure hm hm hmmmmmm

Reply to
haiticare2011

I'm thinking that everybody gets a baggie: super cheap DVM, 9 volt battery or two, some resistors and LEDs and clip leads, maybe one electrolytic cap, a few diodes, maybe even some transistors and mosfets. Couple of pieces of copperclad FR4.

I need some conductive paper, like the old teledeltos stuff. Maybe just regular paper, wet.

Precision electronic instrumentation

200 working days per year, times 8 hrs per day = 1,600 hrs/year. 10,000 hrs / 1,600 hrs/year = 6.25 years. Close enough.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

cp.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

takes 10,000 hours of "directed practice" to master a complex skills.

something, it takes about 5 years of full time work. Who knew? ;)

Electronic design isn't performing on a musical instrument - there's no fin e muscle control involved.

But are your rated as expert in either area?

I did a lot with the PDP-8 that I had access to before I was particularly e xpert at assembly language programming. Since then I've been exposed to eno ugh expert assembly language programmers to be fairly sceptical about the w ork I did back then. John Larkin doesn't seem to process that kind of infor mation.

s still not any good at it.

When I last looked I'd made about 18,000 posts here over fifteen years, and you had made about 26,000.

I don't spend half-an hour on writing a post, and you clearly don't either, so it's unlikely that we've spent 10,000 hours on the activity. A few of m y posts include insults, and rather more include observations that you expe rience as insults. Since the bulk of the "insults" you detect aren't intend ed to be insults, it isn't surprising that they are lame.

ort.

Now that is intended to be an insult, and it's decidedly lame.

Some of the simulations of my LC oscillator ran for a couple of days, which would be up to 100 hours of computer effort at a time. If I ever get aroun d to putting the bits together, it's very likely that the circuit will osci llate, and quite likely that the harmonic content of the sine wave generate d will be low. Putting it together in our current flat in Sydney looks a bi t impractical. I may be able to scrounge some bench space from some other m ember of the NSW branch of the IEEE, but there aren't any obvious candidate s at the moment.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

As is obvious from the gaps on John's expertise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Make that two electrolytics. Have them explode the one on purpose, so they know the consequences if they "accidentally" burn the second. ;-)

Copper clad, hmm, bit of a stretch unfortunately; have you seen what today's kids do with soldering irons? It ain't pretty!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Sphero - Nice link! Good for John L's msee guy! I haven't seen the MOOC, so can't say yet, of course. JB

Reply to
haiticare2011

The MITX - EDX MOOC strategy seems to give it away for free, then figure out how to make $$ at it later. Online education is *extremely* disruptive of the current educational system. Since it's video, you don't even have to be very literate to get an education.

Reply to
haiticare2011