Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 8:20:33 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

fect as a marketing device."

"He named the land Greenland, saying that people would be eager to go there if it had a good name."[8]

Sounds to me like it was about the same as today.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

What do you think it is saying? He was talking about epidemics from uncovering frozen bodies. It goes on to say that certainly more bodies will be uncovered, just not epidemics.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Around here, it's a mild 80 degrees F, and the landscape is scraped and littered with eccentric boulders dumped by the glaciers.It *will* return to that one day.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

Planet Earth, population seven billion.

The majority of people don't serve the niche of 'electronic designer', so whether they serve it well or not is ... unimportant.

Reply to
whit3rd

My challenge is to find the rare individual who is good at electronic design. And then make them better.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

ne

.

re

rozen-forest-20130924

ce/

covering frozen bodies. It goes on to say that certainly more bodies wil l be uncovered, just not epidemics.

We have always had epidemics.

?No one feels there?s a serious chance that global warmin g will melt the permafrost and unleash an epidemic,? he told Manaugh. But melting glaciers certainly will unleash more bodies and artifacts.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

One day is thousands of years off. What about 8 years to extinction do you not understand?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I understand that it's preposterous. And that your life is dominated by fear and gloom. You should do something about that.

Why not find some way to enjoy the eight (or 20, or 60) years that you have left on Earth?

Fun stuff. Part of the more general issues of fear and institutional wrongness.

The biggest threats are probably mass vulcanism or nuclear war.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

ne

.

re

rozen-forest-20130924

ce/

covering frozen bodies. It goes on to say that certainly more bodies will be uncovered, just not epidemics.

g will melt the

I can't argue that epidemics don't happen. But I'm not clear on your point . You do understand people are concerned that digging up bodies of people who died from epidemics will cause a new epidemic, right? That's what is b eing discussed.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Take a look at what you're doing: talking around the issue about every and anything except the evidence at hand. Clearly you're scared to death.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

one

ts.

ture

-frozen-forest-20130924

-ice/

uncovering frozen bodies. It goes on to say that certainly more bodies wil l be uncovered, just not epidemics.

ing will melt the

ng

nt. You do understand people are concerned that digging up bodies of peopl e who died from epidemics will cause a new epidemic, right? That's what is being discussed.

No instance of a frozen viable virus being found, and there were multiple a ttempts to rejuvenate 1918 flu virus from frozen people known to be victims . There have been bacterial infections but modern medicine can handle those quite well.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Granted the Yellowstone cauldron is serious cause for concern - hard to imagine evacuating 1/2 the USA and southern Canada if it ever was getting ready to go:

However the clearest threats that impact all human civilized life I see, that are not man made, are either meteoric or solar flares. Either of which could really ruin one's day...

We can do something about both of them, first one NASA and other agencies are working on detecting then figuring out how to deflect, the second one requires all electricity producing nations to harden their infrastructure, and for electronics manufacturers to harden their stuff too. That is far less likely to happen...I would invest seriously in MOV makers though if hardening products ever too wing.

John :-#(# PS, locally we have our own minor equivalent of Mt. St. Helens - Mount Baker:

John Robertson

I've never been afraid, of practically anything [1]. That has got me into trouble now and then, fortunately nothing lethal or disabling so far.

I can't imagine a mechanism that would make millions of square miles of methane bubble up all at once. If there is long-term warming, and if it does release methane, it will take thousands of years. And the half-life of methane in the atmosphere is 12 years.

So find something else to be terrified about.

[1] I did develop a fear of heights, about the age of 40. I've heard other guys say the same thing. But that faded away. Somehow it never affected my skiing.
--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

The big distribution transformers and breakers take years to order and build. If some serious fraction of them got zapped, we'd be rationing electricity for a decade.

I've skiied on Mt Pluto.

but this part of the sierras is pretty inactive just now. But then, 2 million years is a geological blip.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

And can you also not imagine a mechanism that would flash all the moisture in a popcorn kernel into steam without taking thousands of milliseconds?

Breaking the crust, popping a bubble, blowing up a boiler... abrupt rapid gas emission is completely known to happen.

Reply to
whit3rd

a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred rec ently across Australia.

and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural r esilience."

thingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.

Not exactly true. None of then has any interest in seeing you dead, because none of then can eat you. There are bunch of very deadly snakes, spiders a nd jellyfish, not to mention the tiny blue-ringed octopus but you'll only e nd up dead if you frighten or at least disturb them.

They'd be just as happy if you collapsed in agony.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred re cently across Australia.

e and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural resilience."

othingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.

As Theodore Sturgeon said, 90% of everything is rubbish. The median scienti fic author published one paper, and the typical scienntific author shouldn' t have published any.

Papers one get sent to review mostly get rejected.

Rutherford was wrong aqbout statistics - there are lot of areas which don't lend thenselves to neat experiments - but it's not well taught, and there are quite a few people around who use statistics without understanding what they are doing and why.

The papers that last, and keep on getting cited, are rather better. Science is one giant error-detecting and error correcting mechanism, and peer-revi ewed pulbication is just one more stage in the process.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Incorrectly. Buying an ecosystem out of trouble is spectacularly expensive, and neither Australia or the US has that kind of money, and no level of ta xation could extract that much.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

es a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred recently across Australia.

nge and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natura l resilience."

nothingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.

he

ood

ive

er

00AD?

explanation of why agriculture never got going in Australia.

in the Pacific, but there are other things going on.

set up farms to the northe of that line. The farms were abandoned a few yea rs later, when much less rain fell in subsequent years.

ive multi-decadal changes in climate isn't yet known, but they do make life difficult for farmers.

has no credibility there.

Cite?

Australia with their large scale burning of forests to create more grasslan ds, and modern weather models have confirmed their burning caused delayed a nd erratic monsoon seasons, generally making the place drier than it was pr ior to their arrival.

So did Jahred Diamond. It's mentioned in his book, Guns Germs, and Steel.

The hypothesis that their buring off altered the landscape enough to have a ny effect on the nauture and extent of monsoon rains doesn't show up, proba bly because it's one more ill-supported hypothesis.

Monsoon rains cover huge areas, and the propopsotion that some localised bu rning off would move them around isn't all that plausible.

A citation would be nice.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred rec ently across Australia.

and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems? natural r esilience."

thingness, except excess heat, so no one really cares just yet.

ft peaks emerging just in time to save the planet. That's so much more rea sonable. Right now the Earth is a ticking time bomb about to release unprec edented levels of methane into the atmosphere, and this will kill nearly al l lifeforms quite rapidly, as in a few months time frame.

The last time a lot of methane got released into the atmosphere

it didn't kill off "nearly all life-forms". There clearly were population c rashes, and quite a few new species did emerge, but it wasn't any kind of m ass extinction event for land-living species, though there was a mass extin ction of benthic foraminifera.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to