Eagle vs Protel

Hello Sylvain,

The central repository is possible with most CAD system including Eagle. It's just a matter of discipline and proper archiving.

That is dangerous. Suppose you need a BC847 in a really small footprint, minimized to cram a lot onto a square inch of space in low power applications. Then you would use a BAT54 in switcher apps but want a larger footprint to squeeze out a little more thermal conduct, requiring a larger foot print. Both are SOT23 but now you would compromise one of them.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well, I'd like a central repository as well. But when the part is already on a schematic/board, the version that was used at design time must be stored inside the schematic/board, with a possibility to update to the latest library version.

That would be nice so that when I decides to make the pads on the SOT23 footprint larger, or change the silkscreen marking, It updates all the SOT23 in all the library I have.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

That's when you create your new SOT23A footprint. You wouldn't believe how many TO-92 footprints I have now ;-)

Reply to
budgie

It's SO EASY to save! Just alt-F-S. It even works in most Linux programs. I spent a couple of hours once trying to train a guy to use alt-F-S to save his work - this is the guy who "taught" me Autocad, and the guy would routinely lose a couple hours' work by screwing something up, or letting Win2K screw up, and have to go back to his last save. But I couldn't get him to go alt-F-S.

He doesn't work here any more - turns out he was merely glib. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

Sounds like the S/W needs "dependency checking". This has always been a bugaboo with upgrades, whether to dll's or .so libraries.

Now that I've brought it up, of course, I have no answer other than to exhaustively go through everything you have, and check for dependencies before you update _anything_.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

many

Betcha I would. It _is_ finite, isn't it? ;-P

--
Flap!
The Pig Bladder from Uranus, still waiting for that

many

Yep, and it even fits into Excel's 15-digit capacity ;-)

Reply to
budgie

Hello Andy,

It can be done but often requires another enterprise IT software as a top layer. At my last company we had that, IIRC it was Agile. This allowed doc and repository sharing. We didn't fully use it with CAD (we could have) but we did with the parts master. We even used it across divisions which were located in different places.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I use Protel. I have a standard set of footprints in a central repository, which excludes the footprints shipped with protel. With each project, i generate a library for both schematics and pcbs. I use the footprints from the central repository to lay the complete board, then create a library from the board. What components are not in the central repository are created in the project library then ported back to teh repository if needed.

The main advantage of keeping all footprints/components with the project means that it can be taken anywhere. If you dont have your origonal library, thats fine. Every project I do gets kept in source control and has a seperate cd/dvd made.

What would be nice it to get some kind of source control that would allow merging when multiple engineers are working on a project. This would be virtually impossible, but given a large job with each engineer having his/her own page...Nice...

Reply to
The Real Andy

Have you looked at

Does up to 8 layers and board size up to 60"x60" area.

and is absolutely free with source code GNU

Reply to
maxfoo

I have seen 12 layers. Used for inductive sensing, so 10 out of the 12 layers were effectively an antenna.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

...to figure out how to answer a post? Yep, that's you Bloggs.

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:47:08 GMT, Joerg wrote in Msg.

You'd actually have two packages, SOT32-SMALL and SOT23-BIG (for instance), and in the devices you'd create different package variants.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Hello Robert,

Yes, that would be the proper way to do it. However, deviating from the mfg suggestions may cause your layouters to pull their hairs out. If you use external layouters which is the usual scenario out here.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Why not just add a -a or -b or some such to your adjusted package/device, and rename it to delete the qualifier when you put it into your board-specific library?

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry