dumb cell phone question

From the photo it looks like some are Tri-Wing and some are Tri-Point.

._SL1500_.jpg

Reply to
sms

Maybe you need an autonomous vehicle so it can hang around while you go in the store, no parking spot needed.

--

Rick
Reply to

More like $1,200, though on United (UA837/UA876) rather than a nicer Asian carrier with newer planes.

On the plus side, it takes you into the old airport at Haneda rather than Narita so you can be in Akihabara in no time (maybe 25 minutes), and have time to go shopping at Toku Hands and have a coffee in Shinjuku or Ropponji before heading back.

--sp

*

"It is said that health can spend time when we wear red underwear in Year of the Monkey."

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

For fixing small consumer electronics, I got a iFixit tool kit. Has various expected & weird drive bits. The "Pro" kit is $65. Recommended.

- Rich S.

Reply to
Rich S

Yeah, it uses 2.5mm coax DC connector for charging (according to phonescoop .com) , like my old Nokia. A Very tender connector.

Jeff L. below, states he has direct experience with this model.

I highly expect that you *would* be able to save all your customizations & personal data on the micro-SD card. (or transfer it all from internal memor y over to the card, if "Save on external storage" wasn't the existing setti ng.).

Or, try connecting the phone via USB to a PC, and peruse it with Windows fi le explorer. That might gain you access to the files (the phone can emulat e a mass storage device). Don't know if those files will be usable outside the phone itself. I can do this with my phone, but the files aren't in any format that I recognize.

-Rich S.

Reply to
Rich S

Mine has a long skinny hard-to-mate connector with a zillion tiny pins. It's fragile and damaged. It also has two flat, gold, recessed contacts on the side for a cradle charger.

It's the power/USB connector that's trashed! I wonder why, pre-USB mandate, there were so many bad cell phone connectors.

USB is another rant. Micro A/B is pretty rugged, but USB polarization has always been a trial-and-error PITA. They could have used a distinctive symbol on both halves to make mating obvious.

lunatic fringe electronics

There were many phones that were designed to be dropped into a hands-free cradle for cars. This necessitated contacts on the bottom which could mate easily, and it was not just power, it was for audio as well. There was also a separate place that the antenna connected. I had some Motorola phones that had annoying charger problems. Barrel connectors were much more reliable.

I had a web site on the Motorola Hands Free system, it's still there:

There are new ruggedized smart phones available now so it really isn't necessary to continue using ancient technology.

Reply to
sms

Thanks. I have most of what's in the kit. Not as neat and organized, but sufficient for my purposes. I'm not going to spend $65 on the kit. However, playing the video gave me an important clue. The tiny tri-point screw drivers were added for the Apple watch and Apple's "innovative" approach to making their products difficult to repair. Included are Y000, Y00, Y0, and Y1, which were not available when I was previously searching. However, after some Googling, I find that there's substantial confustion between, tri-lobe, penta-lobe, tri-point, and tri-wing. The watch apparently uses penta-lobe, but some sites advertise a tri-point for the watch. Finding the correct driver is going to be interesting.

There comes a time, when using a Dremel cutoff disk to notch an allen wrench or hex driver into a functional tri-point driver, seems easier.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Nope. Wrong connector. I highly expect that you *would* be able to save all your customizations

Maybe. Here's how to move pictures and vides from phone to the card: All I could find for the address book is the previously mentioned online and OTA method.

He should be going between two identical phone models, so file format should (hopefully) not be a problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I don't want a smart phone. I don't want email, texting, webbing, games, Facebook, Twitter, voice messages, apps, or any of that stuff on a phone. Only a few people have my cell phone number. I must use it for 10 minutes a month.

A big chunk of the population is addicted to their phone. A group of people will be at a table in a restaurant, with all of them staring down at their glowing phones. I interviewed a kid who texted through the entire interview; I didn't hire him. People are staring into their phones and walking off cliffs or causing car accidents. Kids are getting ADHD.

This ain't healthy.

lunatic fringe electronics

< Now that UA & Continental are one, they have a batch of 787's, which are rather new...nice little hot-rod, too! Just too bad UA has devalued existing frequent flyer miles on international routes. Takes a lot more than when I "earned' them...
Reply to
Bill Martin

They deserve each other. And the airlines all seem to be destroying the value of their FF points.

The SFO-HND-SFO route is 747s, so according to

..you have a better than even chance of flying in an aircraft more than 20 years old. Almost old enough to drink..

I don't mind the 787s, slight preference for the A380, but small enough preference that the carrier differences would override it.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Oh, hell. Is Verizon the service provider? I think they lock out a phone's features & capability (like access to the micro-SD) unless you pay extra. He may be SOL (unless he pays up to Vz). _RS_

Reply to
Rich S

They finally got it right with USB 3.1.

JW

Reversible is cool, even better than obviously-polarized.

Apple seems to do connectors pretty well. The MagSafe magnetic retention ones are great designs, but they are just power.

Something like a stereo phone plug would be cool. Ground, power, data.

lunatic fringe electronics

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Back in the days of timesharing, our PDP11 was wired to a zillion wall outlets in various offices, with a stereo phone jack in each wall outlet for the RS232 connections. You can step on a phone plug without damaging it, and mate it with two fingers, under a desk, in the dark. Even easier than an RJ45.

lunatic fringe electronics

All mobile phones have a SIM card usually hidden in a metal clip under the battery (except in phones with no removable battery when there is some cunning way of inserting it safely after prizing off the back).

SIM cards look a bit like thinner credit card thickness sD cards so perhaps that is where your confusion stems from.

The SIM allows the network parameters and phone number to be configured from new. Often networks will issue an entirely new SIM with the right physical form factor for a new phone and then transfer the old phone number onto the new SIM. During the changeover you will have two live mobile phone numbers until the system catches up.

They will even move your contact numbers across for you but synching content onto other media or the cloud is a wise precaution.

Moving the SIM into another phone is trivial and should work provided that the destination phone is either unlocked or locked to the same network. In the UK you can find any number of phone & DVD player unlocking practitioners on the high street but in the "land of the free" it is almost certainly against the DMCA to unlock them.

Also over here you can buy a new SIM at any supermarket checkout. DIY transfer of your old number to your new SIM is possible too.

If you are unsure a decent dealer will do it for you on the spot (though they will probably try and sell you a new smart phone).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

My new Skylake-CPU tower computer has a lighted back panel. Luxury. You can see every port without effort. I can even change the color if I want. lol.

I might even recommend it if the USB3.0/3.1 ports worked better (they don't work well).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

only for GSM, 4G LTE etc., CDMA doesn't use sim cards

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen