Driving Triac Directly with 555 Output?

Several circuits I've seen use an opto-isolator or a transistor between the 555 output and the triac gate, i.e. or .

The triac I'm using has a 50mA gate current and the 555 can sink and source 200mA. The triac will be controlling a non-inductive AC load where the AC voltage will not exceed 18V (coming from a bicycle dynamo), so there is no shock hazard here.

Can anyone think of a reason I need that extra component between pin 3 of the 555 and the triac gate? I was just going to put in a current limiting resistor of 10 ohms or so.

Reply to
SMS

You won't get both sides of the wave with a simple direct hook up like that. Current must flow in both directions with the polarity of the AC.. This is one reason why optical are used and those that like to use OP-Triac's to drive the larger triac. The OP-Triac can get pulsed on with a single ended source, the 555. And the internal emitter will forward bias both photo's at the same time but only one will fire depending on the polarity.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Have you never heard of FOUR QUADRANT triacs?

Reply to
Robert Baer

"Jamie"

** You are a f****ng LIAR !!
** What you said was CRAP.

** Triacs will work fine with + DC drive on the gate.

Never come across one that did not.

Fuck you - asshole.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

.

Sure I have, made a few nice little trinkets with them.

Still does not change any reasoning for what I said.

If you are able to fully absorb what the circuit is that its being implemented in, you may then understand how I think...

On top of that, it's most likely a 4Q isn't being used and if it was, it wouldn't make any difference in this case.

Maybe you've never heard of Latchup issues in Triacs.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Ha, you make me laugh Phil. I've done so much work with SCR's and Triacs in various applications, I don't even know where to start..

To coin one of your phrase;

"Piss off! you autistic piss of shit"

Jamie

Reply to