Driving a Discrete Input Having a 50ohm Impedance

Any one know of a good reference design for a driver for an input to unit with a 50ohm impedance and that's looking for 8 to 11VDC as a "high" and "-1 to 2VDC for a logic 0? Needs to have a fast (50nsec) rise time.

I have been pondering just driving a transistor cable of handling about

500mA with the collector ties to the mid-junction of two 50ohm resistors hooked in series. The high side resistor connected to 20VDC and the other resistor connected to ground.

Any references or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Don

Reply to
Don

It's actaully an input signal to a piece of equipment (1PPS GPS). Probably more a case of making a robust signal for going around a vehicle rather than a logic family per se.

Don

Reply to
Don

It's going to take over a watt to drive it with the logic level high (v^2 / r), and the frequencies are RF (7 mhz equivelent or so) but on the bright side it doesn't need to be linear.

I'd probably lean towards a half bridge design with two active devices... mosfet's might be tempting, basically just make a CMOS output on steroids?

Reply to
cs_posting

If it's a high speed signal, then it *does* mean it's 50 ohms if the instrument is well designed... you want to match the characteristic impedance of the transmission line.

Hmm, question, how can scope inputs be high impedance and not cause reflections on the probe coax? It would seem like one end of the coax or the other would need 50 ohms of fairly resistive termination to ground, no?

Reply to
cs_posting

well, not necessarily 50 ohms, could be 75 or 93 or whatever, but a lot less than a megaohm

Reply to
cs_posting

[snip]

What logic family is that, "Wasteful" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

the input:

INPUT IMPEDANCE: 50 OHMS +/-5% LOGIC 1: 8 to 11 VDC LOGIC 0: -1 to 2 VDC RISE TIME: < 50nsec FALL TIME: < 1usec

I guess I don't understand what you mean about "buzzwordese". If you know and work with the Global Positioning System (GPS), you probably know what 1PPS means (1 pulse per second - a pretty standard signal in GPS equipment).

For grins, I measured the resistance from the signal pin to ground, and guess what? 50 ohms. (Yeah, I know there is other stuff in there, but it does support the spec.) So. what I described is accurate and I did not mis-read anything.

Reply to
Don

Don, If I understand your proposed circuit correctly, you are proposing shorting the "low" side resistor to ground in the "0" state. If so, the output impedance in the "1" state would be 25 Ohms, and in the "0" state, the output impedance would be "0" Ohms (neglecting Ron). I would suggest a discrete complementary (NMOS-PMOS) driver with a 50 Ohm back termination resistor. This way, the output impedance would be approximately 50 Ohms in both states. It would be a power waster, as Jim implies, but it should work. In the "1" state, the resistor would dissipate (20-10)^2/50 = 2 Watts. In the "0" state, the resistor dissipation would be 0. Regards, Jon

Reply to
Jon

What do you mean by a 'back termination resistor'?

A resistor between the switched node and ground?

If so this does not set the output impedance, or even the termination impedance except when neither FET if on. Mostly what it does is waste power.

A resistor in series between the switched node and the driven cable?

This would set the output (source) impedance. However, it also functions as a voltage divider with the cable (initially) or load impedance (long term), meaning he'll need to switch 20 volts on the PMOS to make 10v show up across the receiver's 50 ohm impedance.

Unless you really need the 'softness' of a 50 ohm source impedance, or the receiver is high impedance, this just makes life complicated for little benefit.

Given the input specifications and measurement he posted, I wouldn't use a resistor on the order of 50 ohms at all. I guess you could consider one an order of magnitude smaller in series or an order of magnitude larger in shunt, but not closer. And I might use a fuse or some more sophisticated overload protection device...

Reply to
cs_posting

You're just full of buzzwordese today and that's a "per se." You're reading the specs wrong- there are no such drive requirements. Just because they have a BNC or some other coaxial input jack does not mean it's 50 ohms.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I had to do one recently for a GPS emulator that needed 0 and 4.5v and wound up using a discrete transistor driver.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Hi Don.

Your load looks like a 50 ohms resistor to ground. The 50 ohm coax has the property of "transporting" that 50 ohms to ground right into your driver circuit. So your job is to pull a 50 ohm resistor up to say 9 or 10 volts. You don't have to pull it down - the 50 ohm resistor can do that all by itself. In other words, you need a switch.

If you have a 10 V or 12 V or similar power rail, you can pull the 50 ohm load up to it with a switch - a transistor which turns on. In your circuit you have a logic output of some kind - say a 0 to 5 V logic level. You need something like this :

View in fixed pitch font

------------------ +10V, 12V etc | | R1 R2 | | | |/e |------| PNP R3 |\\c----------out | |/c LogicIn --R4---| NPN |\\e | ground

In fact, the spec you quote looks tailored to such a driver - fast on, not so fast off. Resistor and transistor values are going to depend upon your logic voltage and power supply voltage.

R2 can drop any unwanted voltage if your supply voltage is too high. R1, R2 and R3 can be chosen to stop the PNP saturating, which speeds up turn off. This kind of circuit can easily meet your spec.

Roger Lascelles

Reply to
Roger

Don, A back termination resistor is just a resistor in series with the source signal. It is used to provide impedance matching with the characteristic impedance of a cable. This minimizes reflections and ringing. ~ I was assuming that you were concerned with ringing at the load input, and would, therefore be using cable with a 50 Ohm characteristic impedance. If this is not the case, then there is no need to provide the impedance matching provided by the 50 Ohm resistor. ~ By the way, it is very common in video systems (which commonly use 75 Ohm cable) to use video drivers with a voltage gain of 2. This compensates for the gain of 1/2 that results from the 75 Ohm back termination resistor that is commonly used. Regards, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yes, but it wastes half the power and is not the only way to solve the problem.

If you match the line impedance at the receiving end, source termination is unecessary as there won't be a return wavefront arriving at the source end to reflect off of a lower source impedance. Terminate one end, and you are limited to at most a single-round-trip reflection, which may not even be in a direction of concern.

If the signalling level is only a volt or two, this is easy to do, and lets you kill off rather than send back any reflections returning from bad cables or connectors or mismatched loads (or multiple 75 ohm loads), not to mention providing short circuit protection. But at 10 volts desired across the load, it's a substantial penalty to up the driver to 20 v - now you have to handle 4 watts instead of 2, and have a more limited choice of parts capble of that voltage range, especially if you are looking for a PMOS device.

Also, even with just that load resistor I'd look at the duty cycle requirements - would be nice if you could use just a brief 10v pulse and then return it low for the rest of the second, that could get the average power much more reasonable.

Reply to
cs_posting

No- the high impedance probe cable is lossy and ~350 ohm eliminates reflections.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Okay- well if it was ME doing this I would find the minimum acceptable pulsewidth worst case- not necessarily 50% on the 1PPS, it is a trigger after all, and then go with cheap parallel logic buffer drive into pulse transformer and onto the line of that pulsewidth. But if you want to play dumb, then you can go with something like this or similar, use 50 ohm series termination:

Fred Bloggs

Why on earth did they design such a stupid interface?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

The point is that it's not so stupid when all you have to send is 100ns blip at 1pps- but if you read it as a 50/50 then it is stupid.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

If the choice is available, my vote is for an appropriate resistor at the driving end and none at the receiving end (or 1k or higher). One gets the full voltage at the output, and this scheme has much lower standing and dynamic power consumption.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes that can be a good way to do it if you can customize the load impedance.

For those who aren't familiar with this setup, it's worth thinking through what happens when an impulse or step is driven through the source resistor into the line impedance, when that impulse hits a load impedance much higher than the line impedance, and when that reflection arrives back at the source... the overall effect is pretty cool (unless you're trying to bug the cable in the middle).

Reply to
cs_posting