Driving 74LS from 3.3V uP

That's a good idea... turn on "warm" then full. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Haha, around here you need a state license for that level of passive-aggressiveness.

I do appreciate the advice, though. ; )

Reply to
bitrex

Assuming the switcher has the usual 1.2V reference, then a single open-drain MCU pin and a resistor can switch it between high and low output voltage.

To simulate open drain, you write 0 to the bit in the register and toggle the output enable.

Vout

0------R1R1R1---*--------*----0 FB | | R R 3 2 R R 3 3 | | | GND 0---------------* MCU pin (OD)

Output off -> resistor R3 not connected -> low output voltage Output on -> resistor R3 connected -> high output voltage.

The feedback pin doesn't go above 1.2V in normal operation. It'll jump up when R3 is disconnected, but should never go over 3.3V unless the voltage ratio is more than 2.5:1. If it is, a Schottky diode to the supply will fix it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But would he get invited to the Whitehouse to show it off?

Reply to
krw

OK, so everything is working good now! I found that the boost's enable pin responds pretty quickly, so just ramping the ~5V supply voltage up via a PWM output to that pin, for about a half second, allows everything to start up well without any extra supply filtering.

Reply to
bitrex

OK. Now what happens if your display goes from . to 8888?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It can't, there's only one tube. It counts up from 0 to 9 and back down again in 1000 mS, 900, 800, etc. intervals well...

Reply to
bitrex

meausre the R of the cold incandescent segments and you will your answer

Reply to
David Eather

"soft starting" the "enable" pin of the converter with PWM to bring up the voltage on the filament slowly got it sorted

Reply to
bitrex