Does APC _really_ sell UPSes?

Does a 4X multiple seem reasonable?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just tell me about reliability! About 20 years ago i got one of their 350VA units from an electronic junk dealer. To make it work, i had to plug it in!! Ran for 6-7 years before the battery gave out. Replaced battery, and the UPS is still going strong.

Reply to
Robert Baer

IME even companies don't. Sending an inquiry to contact@******.com often results in ... nothing.

Quite normal. I can call Europe for less money per minute than domestic calls cost. Calling cards are not always the best deal, I use those

101.... numbers a lot.

Missy Bell has almost clawed back into ye olde monopoly position and that shows in the pricing structures.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have no actual experience with Ethiopia but with some developing countries in general. The price sounds reasonable if the product is delivered to the specified site _on_time_..

While you might be able to import something independently and manage to do all the required paperwork yourself, there is always a risk that for some real or imaginary reason the device will sit in the customs for a year, until right officials are remembered with suitable "gifts".

Regarding the official representative, they also have this kind of extra "cost". At least they know which persons needs to be approached, the get things working smoothly :-).

As I said, I have no idea, if this applies to Ethiopia, but at least in some countries in the region 2X to 4X prices would not be a surprise.

Reply to
upsidedown

While Ethiopia is mainly Christian (53 %), there is also a significant (34 %) Islam minority.

It is now Ramadan, so getting things done in Islamic countries can take some time.

Reply to
upsidedown

I have sent many an item to Addis Ababa via USPS (some of the larger items were handled by FedEx for the PO). Customs charges seem to be roughly the perceived US retail price.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Allah Akbar..

Reply to