Docking station with USB

Hi All,

I need some guidance with the following challenge:

I need to configure a docking station which receives a device that can be charged, and will unload GB's of data over an USB2.0 connection.

The device must be easily "thrown" into the docking station (like mobile radios in a charging dock)

The device is smallish, think a pack of sigarettes.

The docking + device needs to be very rugged; I expect the devices to be slammed in the docking station by rowdy men that have no care for delicate electronics.

I have seen "Chinese" solutions that use spring loaded pins to make the connection in the bottom of the docking base. Against all odds this actually works, but it is far from meeting any EMI / RFI requirements, as any screening is absent.

An obvious solution would be a male micro usb (full size is way too big) sticking out of the bottom of the docking unit, and a receptacle in the device housing. But will this survive in a rough environment in day to day use?

Magnetic connections like Apple uses? will screening work?

Any better solution highly appreciated! == Best Regards, Rene

Reply to
Rene

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:23:21 +0100, Rene Gave us:

USB connections/connectors themselves are not generally capable of handling pig abuse.

Training the pigs to plug in a delicate cable in a delicate manner is a far better idea.. Then you can use a small cable stub and std USB storage mediums. So what it hangs off the side of the unit during transfer sessions. Teach the idiots to be more careful until the world develops an idiot proof "stab it in and go" interconnection standard. Males like stabbing it in. Stupid but true, even after all these millennia.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno