Do you know abt CE Mark on the electronic products?

What is CE Mark?

Products that are exported to the EC and that are placed on the market for the final end user have to carry this mark. The manufacturer or his representative is required to issue a declaration of conformity which must be kept available to the enforcement authority for 10 years following the placing of the products in the market. He is required also to affixed the mark on the products, or its packaging, instructions or guarantee certificate.

The CE mark is as shown below and must be at least 5mm in height.

What it means to have CE Mark?

When the CE Mark is affixed, it means that the products conform to EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Directive and other relevant Directives that are relevant to the products. Many electrical appliances also have to conform to Low Voltage Directive. Electrical toys will have to conform to Toy Safety Directive.

The EC declaration of conformity must include components like :

a) Description of the products.

b) A reference to the specifications under which conformity is declared.

The reference to the specifications does not necessarily mean that you have to test these specifications. Three scenarios are apparent.

i) The product intrinsically meets the requirements of the Directive and does not need testing. Most electronic products are not able to follow this option.

ii) Declaration is make on existing test results. If the products already conform to existing standards such as FCC for emissions and IEC 801 for immunity, then you may be confident that the product will meet the appropriate harmonized standards without further testing.

iii) Test fully to the harmonized standards or choose the technical file route. For complex and new products, this will be costly but is essential.

c) Signatory to bind the manufacturer or his representative.

d) where necessary, reference to the EC type examination certificate for radio transmitters.

Compliance with the CE Mark Directive

There are 2 routes for manufacturer to comply to the CE Mark Directive.

a) Self Certification

Most manufacturer will follow this route which is self certification to harmonized standards. Harmonized standards are those CENELEC or ETSI standards which are announced in the Official Journal of the European Communities (OJEC).

The advantage of certifying against standards is that there is no mandatory requirement for testing by an independent test house. The only requirement is that the manufacturer makes a declaration of conformity as mentioned above which references the standards against which compliance is claimed. The manufacturer have to make sure that he tests the product to assure himself that it does meet the requirements of the standards and this can be done in-house. In the long run, it is cheaper to have its own basic in-house equipments to test the product instead of sending it to an independent test house which is costly most of the time. By having these facilities, it will enable the manufacturer to design in the product to conform to the standards as most of the time, a lot of modification to the product needs to be done in order to conform to the standards.

b) The Technical Construction File

The second route is to generate a TCF(Technical Construction File) which will be held by the relevant authorites as soon as the product is placed on the market and for 10 years after the last item has been supplied. TCF should describe the apparatus, the procedures used to ensure conformity and a technical report from a competent body. It may or may not contain test data. The difference between this route and the first route is that the technical report or certificate is issued by a competent body.

This route is normally taken when existing standards cannot be applied or when testing is not practical because of the size of the product.

Source: Wikipedia

You can find more interesting articles, books and free literature at href="

"

Reply to
kittu228

Nothing at all anymore -- they're "faked" far too often.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

CE == "Can't Enforce"

Reply to
krw

Cincinnati Electronics. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

I almost went to work for them last year (FLIR camera development). I was #2 and #1 finally accepted. At least I don't live in Ohio anymore. ;-) Interesting company. No overtime allowed without special dispensation (no access on weekends). They confiscated cell phones if they had cameras in them, too.

Reply to
krw

"Joel Koltner" wrote

It means a load of bollocks. Just like ROHS, WEEE, REACH, ISO9000, UL and all the other crap.

Reply to
Peter

CE means Can't Enforce.

John

Or Chinese Engineering :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I think one intent of CE was to protect European industry from imports. I guess they didn't expect that certain parties would buy reels of CE stickers and slap them on everything, while the locals did actual lab tests.

John

Not really. You can self-cert a lot these days. It's just that the locals can be sued if they screw that up while the guys in Outer Podunkia won't have a worry in the sky about that because it would hit the (local) dealers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

JL commented

What I noticed over the last 20 years, working in Europe, is that trade between EU countries is a helluva lot easier. Largely due to harmonising the standards. Manufacture / certify in the UK and sell in Germany - simplifies things a lot and reduces costs.

I am also glad to see the Euro and North American standards converging, well, as rapidly as such things can do. It's not really surprising that they are already similar as the laws of physics are the same on both sides of the Atlantic, but it's good to see the regulators agreeing.

My general feeling is that North American standards are more rigorous on safety and Euro ones are more sensible about actual engineering issues, such as RF interference. A blend of both would be good. And I also feel that consumer equipment is of a generally higher quality now than 20 years ago, because the large purchasers (Wal-Mart, governments etc) won't buy stuff if it doesn't have appropriate certification.

--
Nemo
Reply to

The US standards (as I understand things) exempt a lot more scientific and test equipment than the euros do, particularly from the RF stuff.

The US standards do generally require certified lab tests, whereas the CE stuff can be self-certified.

John

The US standards can be self-certified too, just that few have the resources to be certified to self-certify. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Joerg wrote

There is no enforcement of CE in Europe. Just put the sticker on everything ;)

In the UK, you can self certify RF immunity/emissions, and due diligence defence applies.

The only known exposures were done by competitors of somebody.

In practice, there is a wide margin to play with because any test setup will involve other equipment, which will contribute something anyway by itself. So it is very hard to prove that Item X was non-compliant X years ago when it was introduced.

Reply to
Peter

Is there a list of things that you can self-certify in CE available somewhere online?

TheM

Yes... CAN be... the issue is liability. Europe is becoming more litigious, despite the difference in our suing laws (in the UK, if you lose, you generally pay the winner's fees, which tends to discourage trivial suits.) So your basic customer wants to see a piece of paper which allows them to pass the buck if there is a problem. More experienced retailers / users want a certificate from a third party. This seems to be because if they've been in biz for a few years, they've had their fingers burnt and are more wary.

I have heard that many European companies who made customised equipment or small production runs used the self-certification route, historically. And that's fine because if there is an insurance issue or legal fine from a fire or whatever they have declared they are responsible and will pay. But the markets are getting more paranoid, possibly because so many manufacturers have outsourced the actual manufacturing and are not properly controlling their component quality. Every time we hear tales of high profile fake products, capacitor plagues, and lithium ion batteries bought on the cheap that turn out to have no internal safety circuit, etc, the buyers are educated into realising that "quality" isn't just a tick on a box to pass the buck.

Oh yes, the other issue is that ultimately, directors of companies here are personally responsible for legal issues like electrocuting customers. They're increasingly nervous about signing self-certification documents as they see more prosecutions (rare, but they do happen). It's quite amusing seeing directors trying to get experienced engineering managers (ie, their juniors) to sign legal documents for them. "Actually I think you'll find I can't do that, it needs to be a legally recognised 'officer' of the company." Suddenly, paying for 3rd party certification is authorised... or at least hiring the use of a properly equipped EMC lab.

I take Peter's point about wide margins and difficulty in proving stuff. For one-off installations, going for large margins is probably the only practical way to go - especially if you're incorporating someone else's equipment, like a PC.

Over here, the perception is that American manufacturers of consumer goods just claim FCC compliance and slap a label on about *that*. The reality of course is that large, professional organisations on both sides of the pond take the rules deadly seriously whilst the start-ups don't have the funds and need to cut corners.

I have lots of opinions about China, but can't really speak on that with any great authority. 8)

--
Nemo
Reply to

The ides of doing a full CE series of certs for a niche scientific or test instrument is sort of absurd. That might cost more than all the profit you might expect to make, or certainly enough to make the product non-competitive with companies who don't do the testing.

John