differential Manchester decoder and FIFO

Good questions. A quick tutorial would be most helpful to the OP... I'd sure like to see it myself. ...Jim Thompson

** snipped so aioe will accept **

Reminds me of when, 30+ years ago, i designed a serial data coding system that would allow variable data rate, totally self-clocking. I think it was as good or better than MFM. The idea of that was ability to achieve constant bit density on a hard drive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The maximum supported data rate for SPDIF is about 6 Mbit/s, so from where did you get that 10 MHz requirement ? So even if you have two transitions (half cycles) within a single bit time, the frequency is still 6 MHz.

In SPDIF, the serial bit clock (after dividing down) is typically used for driving the DAC, which requires a jitter free timing. After initially sensing the bit rate from a large range, you need a narrow bandwidth PLL to maintain the rate as constant as possible.

Reply to
upsidedown

Why variable data rate, or do you mean "slightly" variable? The OP's requirement is for the clock rate to vary over 1 MHz to 10 MHz. That's a bit of a stretch.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes, as I read more of this thread I realize this is almost exactly what I implemented in an FPGA a few years ago as part of a design still in production. At one end is a data link and an ADC which samples a time code signal. The data link has no clock, but rather an approximate rate is set by the software and the hardware slave to the data transitions. The CODEC is slaved to the data rate. The aggregate data bundle (fixed number of data bits and the CODEC sample) is shipped over an IP network where at the other end another copy of this unit receives the data and reconstitutes both the data stream and the time code signal in synchrony. This requires syncing up to the average data rate of the IP packets and clocking the CODEC in lock step with clocking the data. IIRC, the loop lock was actually regulated by the amount of data in the FIFO. The FIFO delay had to match the delay of the sigma-delta CODEC.

The receiver half of this should be *very* much like what the OP wants to do.

--

Rick
Reply to

I remember doing a wide range PLL, I think it was for Commodore, back when they had a design center in Mesa, AZ... pushing things, they wanted equal physical bit density on the platter, thus each track data rate was a function of radius (at constant RPM).

But I think it was only 3:1.

Fun place Commodore, the floor was littered with peanut and sunflower shells ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I did not mean or imply or say anything about "slightly variable". The scheme was equally robust from data rates of millihertz to gigahertz. And i think a number of the intelligent individuals on this NG could dream up such a scheme.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Forgive me.

Thank you. I'll try to figure it out.