Depth finder for ground imaging

I need to dig a trench in some very rock soil which may include Volkswagen sized boulders. I can pick any course I want, but need to make sure that sub surface features are manageable.

My idea was would couple a portable depth finder to a water filled cylinder placed on the ground and look at the LCD images. A VW size rock should produce a large echo.

Anyone have any experience with this or can recommend something that they might have used to solve a similar problem.

Regards,

Blakely

Reply to
Noone

Hire it done, with a "hard-dig" clause in your favor... you should hear the noise when you blow a hydraulic hose on a Michigan end loader ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What's the soil like that isn't the BFRs[1]? The depth finder will see a very large contrast at the water to soil transition. This is likely to make the idea unworkable.

[1] BFR is the industry term for a large rock.

GPR won't work in wet clay soils.

Seismic is too much of a blunt instrument for this sort of problem.

If the BFRs are rare enough and the soil is otherwise uniform enough, a simple resistivity system may work for you. You would just avoid any place with a differing resistivity.

You may be able to find the rocks magnetically also.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Many years ago I tried to detect caves using this technique. It didn't work, soil is a pretty poor medium for conducting sound at any frequency.

Reply to
bruce varley

Ken Smith wrote: (snip)

(snip)

In my industry, "BFR" means a very-large-value resistor. :-)

--
Michael
Reply to

Soil is glacial drift gravel with lots of baseball sized rocks and smaller. BFR's are Canadian Shield granite boulders. Path is 75 feet from the edge of a lake, so with the gravel, I would expect a high water table which should help. And I can flood an area before starting to ensure adequate saturation for signal propagation.

Reply to
Noone

[....]

I suspect you are just going to have to start digging and find your way past the rocks. Glacial till is a highly variable material. You will have a hard time telling, lets say, a pocket of sand from a BFR.

Assuming this echo sounder works at a highish frequency, a mixture of sand, rocks and water will just eat any signal that gets into it. Most of the energy will reflect back at first bit of rock it hits.

Remote sensing technologies tend not to have enough resolution for this sort of job. I'd try GPR before I gave up because it may work.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , bruce varley wrote: [....]

Anyone who lives in earthquake country knows this isn't true. The energy in an earthquake is sound.

Also, there is an entire seismic industry based on the fact that soil is a good conductor of sound.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I've always used "BMF", which is actually an adjective and can be applied to any large unwieldy object: BMF rock, BMF cap, BMF hammer, etc. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Do you have enough water to actually wash the gravel away from the BMR's, and just haul them away? (and check the tailings for gold nuggets and gemstones. ;-) )

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So stick a bunch of microphones in the ground, and wait for an earthquake. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The primary conduction is probably through rock, not the soil on top of it. Also earthquakes and even seismic sounders are pretty "loud" to being with.

To solve the original problem, how about drilling a core every few feet along the path? Commonly used when siting buildings to figure out what they are going to be built on/if they'd have to blast bedrock to finish the excavation.

Reply to
cs_posting

Get a piece of tube, maybe 6' long, and connect high-pressure water to one end of it, and use the other to shove through the loose gravel until you hit something big.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In article , Rich Grise wrote: [....]

They're called "geophones" when they are stuck into the dirt.

This exact experiment has been done a lot of times. They have also stuck them into the ground and just listened to the random noise of wind hitting the trees etc. With enough CPU power, you can make something out of the data.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

You missed the entire "refraction" market. They are looking at the near surface stuff and the signal source is a person with a big hammer. Seismic sounders are mostly in the oil industry. They cost way too much for the guy bidding on making a road to afford.