trants

your age.

ount.

should

ending on

nforced at

you

after

The point is "Full retirement age" is age 62 for people that don't have a job, or earn less than 13K a year. If you take benefits early, and earn over 13K, the penalties are 50 cents on the dollar. Also, full retirement age is where you qualify for medicare benefits, which isn't free. Some don't want it if they can get medical coverage elsewhere, or free.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

social

national

looking

thought.

un-available

the

and

entrants

age.

should

depending on

enforced at

Ah, so your point was just an attempt to distract the view from your earlier stupidity.

Reply to
krw

is social

he national

t back,

e looking

ding ?

tle

d thought.

system had

ial

-available

illegal for the

d".

est" in

ng trick, and

its

, and

one this it

entrants

3K a

hat

on your age.

amount.

at* should

depending on

t enforced at

of you

il after

lay

red

ier

And your point was full retirement age was between age 65-67, which has been shown to be incorrect.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

social

national

back,

looking

?

thought.

had

un-available

for the

in

trick, and

it

entrants

your age.

amount.

should

depending on

enforced at

My original point was that you're full of shit, but the "full retirement age" is a fact. Even your quotes say as much. Did your mother have any children that lived?

Reply to
krw

By the way Bill, it is not always about absolute dollars, but instead about cashflow. If it takes X dollars per month to keep your head above water, you may defer retirement past age 72 to get maximum monthly income instead.

I expect to see 90+ myself. Nor do i find it unlikely to hit triple digits.

Reply to
JosephKK

Run the actual numbers. I did. As I approached 65 I looked at the Social Security payout versus retire now or delay to 70. Retiring at

70 took *8* years to catch up to the total take if I retired at 65. Who know if you'll really live that long?

You never know when that big event will reach out and get you.

For example, Friday night, in my office (organized as piles of paper and boxes on the floor :) I stepped over a pile onto a piece of paper, slipping, folding up my left leg like it's never been folded before, and, as my wife observed, my head missing my solid oak desk by a fraction of an inch as I hit the floor :-(

I'm in pain, but think I'm OK. Remember my father fell off a pickup truck while trying to unload a snow blower by himself, but lived quite a few years after that ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
           Only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Did you add interest the interest on the five years income, between 65 and 70? IIRC it's more like 20 years to make up the difference. I'll have to run them for myself (a few years yet), but as I recall the wait from 62 to 65 (66 in my case) is a no-brainer, given the penalties, but waiting until 70 was a definite loser.

Crap! Gotta stop doing stuff like that at some age. A broken hip can be a death sentence.

Reply to
krw

nce is social

f the national

t it back,

l be looking

holding ?

little

had thought.

he system had

Social

un-available

ot illegal for the

sted".

invest" in

fest

the

nting trick, and

for its

off, and

d done this it

new entrants

n 13K a

e that

n't

ical

ing on your age.

ced amount.

*That* should

e, depending on

en't enforced at

ing

and

at

and

es of you

until after

age

all

delay

idered

ount

arlier

age"

hildren

Well, my mother just had me, but she died at age 47, and my father died at age 65, and my nephew died at age 36. And I've had triple bypass heart surgery, and colon cancer surgery, and chemotherapy, and alcoholic problems, and other stuff. So, if I make it to age 67, I'm going to be a winner.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

What a coincidence. I have been updating my retiremement spreadsheet these past few days. With SSI and Medicare in disarray and the difficulties of quantifying Ombummercare correctly it is distinctly messy.

Reply to
JosephKK

So, cheated Darwin yet again, huh? >;->

Do you have machinery in place of your heart, like Dick Cheney?

Thanks, Rich, plainclothes hippie! %-}

Reply to
Rich Grise on Google groups

is social

the national

back,

looking

withholding ?

little

thought.

system had

"Social

un-available

illegal for the

"invested".

"invest" in

trick, and

and

this it

entrants

13K a

that

your age.

amount.

*That* should

depending on

enforced at

you

after

considered

earlier

Well, that explains a lot.

BTW, if you go to the social security web site and search on "full retirement age", you'll find this:

...which *clearly* indicates what the SSA thinks is the "full retirement age".

Reply to
krw

erence is social

t of the national

want it back,

will be looking

ithholding ?

is little

ers had thought.

ol.

f the system had

e "Social

and un-available

t not illegal for the

nvested".

t "invest" in

safest

ds, the

no

counting trick, and

ey for its

ay off, and

had done this it

nd new entrants

earn 13K a

rage that

oesn't

medical

ending on your age.

educed amount.

s. *That* should

age, depending on

aren't enforced at

laying

62 and

ve at

ath and

ances of you

ng until after

to age

's all

can delay

onsidered

ts

amount

age

ly,

ich

r earlier

nt age"

y children

ment

age".

Yes, but it doesn't define what full retirement age means. In other words, what is the advantage of taking benefits at say age 65.5 verses age 64.5?

I wrote a little basic calculator to illustrate the time needed to recover lost benefits from postponing retirement past age 62 to age

  1. My statement says I would get about 82% more at age 70 verses 62, so it works out to about 12 years at 5% investment rates. But there are other variables such as COLA increases, and additional payments into the system from working to age 70. It's not a simple problem, so it might take 20 years to break even considering all details. I don't know of any source that will factor the details. I don't think the Feds want us to know.

cls Principal=3D1 Age62 =3D 1000 : Rem early retirement payment Age70 =3D 1830 : Rem 83% increased payment at age 70 Rate =3D .05 For Year=3D1 to 8 For Month=3D1 to 12 Principal =3D Principal + Age62 + ((Principal*Rate)/12) Next Month Next Year Difference =3D Age70-Age62 RecoveryYears =3D (Principal/Difference)/12 Print "Years to break even is"; RecoveryYears

Rem 11.82 years to break even at age 82 assuming 5% investment return.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

difference is social

the national

it back,

be looking

withholding ?

little

had thought.

system had

"Social

un-available

illegal for the

"invested".

"invest" in

safest

the

accounting trick, and

its

off, and

done this it

new entrants

13K a

that

doesn't

medical

on your age.

reduced amount.

*That* should

age, depending on

aren't enforced at

delaying

and

and

of you

after

age

all

delay

considered

amount

earlier

age"

children

Can't you *READ*?

Are you just trying to hide your idiotic statements with more?

Reply to
krw

If you request one they will send out a letter that says how much you get at various points. That printout would help a bit with planning.

Reply to
Greegor

Make no assumptions when it comes to SS. They do funny guv'ment math.

From their very own tables 70 vs 65 gave more per annum, but it took ~8 years to break even with what you would receive starting at 65. Unless you live at Mayo clinic, predicting your longevity is pretty iffy :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

This chart reveals the secret to living to 100--

--first live to 99, then you've got two years and change.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

ifference is social

part of the national

we want it back,

ee will be looking

S withholding ?

this little

ramers had thought.

skool.

; if the system had

the "Social

e, and un-available

s it not illegal for the

"invested".

nnot "invest" in

the safest

funds, the

ns no

accounting trick, and

money for its

o pay off, and

lse had done this it

g and new entrants

.

ll earn 13K a

overage that

e doesn't

er medical

depending on your age.

y reduced amount.

ings. *That* should

ent age, depending on

mes aren't enforced at

delaying

ge 62 and

live at

e math and

chances of you

iting until after

up to age

It's all

ne can delay

s considered

ge

efits

fit amount

ch age

n't

early,

so,

which

your earlier

ement age"

any children

irement

nt age".

So, why don't you just tell us the details, since you know so much. I don't think you can troubleshoot your way out of a wet paper bag, let alone ss benefits..

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

retirement

age".

Obviously not.

The details of your mental problems? There isn't even enough time to repeat what you've said, so far.

Reply to
krw

retirement

ement age".

epeat

My full retirement age is 62, yours may be different.

Here's a calculator you might like;

Bill Bowden

retirement

retirement age".

No, the age *you* retire may be 62. That is *not* what the SSA defines as "full retirement".

I "retired" at 54, however the SSA doesn't much care.

You don't need a calculator. You need a dictionary, and a brain.

Reply to
krw