delta sigma dac

Hi,

I am trying to build a delta-sigma dac using the outputs of an fpga. I need about 30mhz bandwidth and 8-10 bits. I was going to use an 8-bit r-2r ladder, but the i/o requirements are huge since i need

16 channels. The maximum output rate of the fpga pins is about 300mhz which is far to slow to get 8-10 bits@30mhz. If i use a dac larger than 1-bit could this work. Eg a 4-bit r-2r used in a delta sigma. Does anyone have the equations for frequency/amount of quantization/ output bandwidth?

Thanks,

Jon Pry

Reply to
jonpry

Classically, 8 to 10 x oversampling will get you 3 additional bits resolution. CVSD (delta-sigma converters) gives better dynamic range at lower resolution for the same bit rate. With 16 channels out, perhaps dedicated DAC chips would be best.

Reply to
JosephKK