Defect in Intel 8254 ..?

I built some hw construction with Intel 8254 Interval Timer some years ago and it seemed one of the counters could not count to certain values or in certain modes. Not mentioned in the datasheet at all. Is there a known defect with Intel 8254 ..?

Reply to
pbFJKD

I'm a little fuzzy, but yes, I had these problems (22 years ago!). Something to do with a) missing the first count when used as a counter, and b) not being able to divide by 2(??).

Also, different in these respects when compared to the 8253, and something hinky lurks in my memory about the 82c54 being slightly different again...

Anyway, I figured out workarounds that allowed me to use the 82c54 such as it was, after a great deal of cursing! So, it's possible.

HTH, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Compare to the AMD 9513, which has various useful additional features *not* described in the data sheets? :-)

In many ways life became much more interesting when FPGAs/CPLDs became cheap and you could build any "weird" sort of counter/timer without having to play funny games with the standard ICs. (I remember a co-worker commenting that the Intel 8096 microcontroller had a timer/counter that was *exactly* what you wanted if you were building a controller for the fuel injection on a V8 engine! If not, well... it was nowhere near as useful...)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Several. Check out

James T. White
Reply to
James T. White

Link doesn't work..

Reply to
pbFJKD

It does for me. Remove the final period.

Anno

Reply to
anno4000

Excellent source. Thanks!

--James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

You might have to strip the angle bracket(s) at the front and the period at the end. (when I do that, the link works for me.)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise