timer on pc

hi , Is it possible to read timer0 while timer2 is running parallely in a x86 PC running under DOS using assembly language(tasm).When i read the timer it gives some count within 65536 I do not know wheher it is correct.After issueing the READ BACK command it shows that timer0 is programmed for mode 3 operation.I reconfigured the mode of timer0 after

reading the 8254 datasheet.I did not work. I have to measure the time interval in microseconds between two external interrupts to a pc. As i am already using timer2 i cant use it and as timer1 is used for RAM refreshing I can't use timer1 also.As my Pc is not a PENTIUM class PC it is difficult/impossible to measure the clock cycles using RTDSC. Is there any other time 8254 IC in the PC which is accesible for the programmer?Can anyone help , please. Krishna.VJ I have posted this question in borland tasm group but did not get any answers.

Reply to
kkrish

The timers in the PC are fairly easy to use. I used the timer 0 to create a .5 ms interrupt and an interrupt handler to increment one counter that rolls over plus 3 countdown counters at each interrupt. The source code (TASM) includes stealing the interrupt, resetting the timer values, the interrupt service, and the restore routine. You may not want to use the interrupt, but instead just read the timer registers If it would help, I could send it to you.

Reply to
Donald Harris

hi , thank you. Can you please send the code with interrupt generation also .I think it may be useful for me.

Reply to
kkrish