Death & Destruction of a Fluke Multimeter

Dave,

You should make what was left the prize in a competition.

Nial

Reply to
Nial Stewart

Watch out for flies! ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

And you didn't send it back ?!!

geoff

Reply to
geoff

use

ly

Agree.

I have had a fluke 87 for about 15 years, it has never let me down. It has survived drops, rough conditions and other abuse that happens in the trade. The only thing I have ever done is replace the probes once, and a fuse when I accidentally blew it once - and that is NOT the meter's fault. I cannot be stuck with dodgy equipment when I'm on a job 200km from the workshop. Been there, done that, when I started out many years ago.

To me, the cost of time and money and goodwill by having to go back would be excess of the cost of a decent meter.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, and Dave's reviews have confirmed my belief in their products. I can see also where the internal design has been improved a lot.

Im not just pushing Fluke products either, while I havent used or seen them, due to industry competition, Im sure that HP, TEK and others have made comparable quality meters.

Reply to
kreed

Wonder if you could return it under warranty ? ;)

Reply to
kreed

Amazing. I doubted the 3M drop spec. Not any more.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:44:21 -0800, "William Sommerwerck" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I bought it in Australia, but I took it to Singapore. I suppose I could have made the effort to have the batteries replaced, but I relied on the AC adapter, until it failed.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

More tests beyond specification:

Drive over it with a car. Drive over it with a heavy truck. Have good athletes kick it into a concrete wall. Put it into a cement mixer running for 10 minutes (first dry then with = water and finally with concrete).

Reply to
JosephKK

Just the same, i think i would have force fed it to the local dealer = instead. At that price, i might well have flown back and force fed it to the = dealer that=20 was foolish enough to sell me a clearly defective unit.

Reply to
JosephKK

He couldn't do that, it was on loan for the torture test.

Reply to
JosephKK