De-Extincting Wooly Mammoths To Fight Climate Change (2023 Update)

Lab-grown woolly mammoths could walk the Earth in six years if geneticist’s new start-up succeeds. The idea is mammoths would tramp the tundra back into grassland and contain the methane.

Fred Bloggs

Now that we know how to bring species back to life I guess we can stop worrying about causing them to go extinct.

Reply to
Brent Locher

I'm sure that will turn out exactly as he predicts...

Why not just breed more musk ox and other northern grazing animals - no exotic research needed, lots of breeders available...

The law of unintended consequences will come rearing its ugly head in short order!

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

John Robertson snipped-for-privacy@flippers.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

News article reads...

500 killed in surprize 1000 mammoth stampede at the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky! Nobody saw this coming!

Oh the humanity!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You can only bring them back after you have fixed the problem that made then go extinct. Duh!

Reply to
Rick C

Pretty safe bet that humans played a major part in that role...

We get hungry, see a lot of meat on the hoof and say "Yum!", and large land animals go extinct.

Only where you have rain forests and land humans don't particularly want did bigger animals have a chance to survive until humans reached the point where they would think - "Strong/big animal! I want to use it to go fast, dig, pull.."

Before humans came to North America there were horses, camels, and many other large animals.

Before humans left Africa there were large (now extinct) animals in Europe and Asia too...

Australia had large animals prior to humans dropping in.

"We have met the enemy and he is us" (Pogo)

I'm not feeling guilty that my ancestors (and yours) ate everything in sight - wouldn't be here otherwise! However now we don't NEED to eat the rare critters and should work to give them a chance too.

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson