DDR SDRAM Trace matching

Hi, What is the trace mismatch tolerance of DQ and DQS signals of

200Mhz-DDR. Should i just keep them within 2.5" and it will be ok?
Reply to
yy7d6

To calculate the trace mismatch you can have, you'll need to do a proper timing budget. It's more than just the DQ set (which includes DQS) and you have to run the budget for both read and write (they are different).

'Keeping them all within 2.5"' will _not_ do it. I almost had a C|N>K moment when I read that.

Micron has a nice app note describing the process. Post what you are using (controller, memory type etc) and we might help guide you through the process.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Actually most if not all about length matching in these application notes is just scaremongering. At apr. 150 pS/inch, doing even a 1/2" inch length mismatch will add 75 pS of skew - hardly an issue at 200 MHz DDR. To relate to another recent thread here, sometimes even the plain arithmetics can be fairly helpful... :-).

Dimiter

PeteS wrote:

Reply to
Didi

Hi Dimiter

Well, it depends.

At 200MHz, (400MT/s), the maximal data window is 2.5nS. When one subtracts a typical 0.7nS for the DDR controller skew (that depends on the controller, of course) and an access window of +/- 0.7nS, subtract the DQ jitter [and a number of other parameters] and board jitter (mostly deterministic) and that 75pS is no longer a small matter.

The OP can get a lot of free support information here:

Although one _may_ get away with 0.5 inch mismatch, it probably won't be guaranteed timing across temperature and parts. I like to design for guaranteed margins. The last time I designed DDR onto a board (not DIMM/SODIMM) I ended up with 120pS of guaranteed margin. SODIMM can be just as tight.

For the OP - it's not just the DQ set - the timing budget has to be set against the Clock pair -> Address/control, Clock pair -> DQ set. As the strobes are driven from the memory diring a write cycle, you have to subtract the outbound time from your receive data window. I strongly suggest you read a typical datasheet and the file 'Plat7Justin.pdf' on the page referenced, at the very least.

Cheers

PeteS

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Look at a PC motherboard. Do you think they put in all those squiggles just for the heck of it?

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Reply to
yy7d6

I understand you want to read the minimum necessary.

The reality is that DDR timing budgets require a reasonable amount of time to calculate.

Read the app notes on the page I referenced and then ask again, referencing the appropriate timing results from post PAR timing on your FPGA.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS