DC Ammeter Sensitivity Increased?

[snip]

When I worked as a meter tech for EIL many years ago we calibrated iron vane meters of various types. Most of them had a moveable metal piece that could be adjusted to affect the calibration. Most of these meters were made to be opened easily for repair and adjustment and scale changing, but some (GE I think) had an aluminum band that was swaged on with a special tool to seal the meter. All iron vane meters I worked on were for AC use, but they might work on DC. I never tried. However, I think they relied on magnetic induction which is an AC phenomenon, similar to a motor.

The really cheap meters were Shurite, and they used (I think) a permanent magnet moving vane in a fixed coil. These were often DC meters used in automotive and battery charger applications. The permanent magnet might weaken with age, but I think that would make the meter read lower, rather than high. If there were no magnetism, it would read zero. All meters I worked on had springs (taut band types use the band as a spring). A weak spring could cause a high reading.

The only meters I know to be true RMS are dynamometer types, which use a moving coil as well as a fixed coil. When the coils are wired in series or parallel, they read voltage or current. When the coils are separate, the meter can be used as a wattmeter.

Of course, most such measurement is now done digitally, but it is interesting and educational to understand the older technology. Also, many of the lab grade meters were beautiful works of art, with varnished oak or bakelite cases, and carefully drawn mirror scales to reduce parallax, and to obtain accuracy to 1/4% or better.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

I'm interested in this thread, having built a 1050 back in the late '50s. It too has been part of the garage clutter for fifty years or so.

However, I am NOT willing to wade through two or three pages of quote, quotequote, quotequotequote to get to one or two lines of answer.

PLEASE, PEOPLE, LEARN HOW TO SNIP.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:11:06 -0700, RST Engineering (jw) Has Frothed:

Use a news reader that can mute quoted text.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Would you be willing to give the ammeter on your 1050 a quick check against something you trust, either another ammeter or maybe a low ohmage power resistor and a voltmeter and see if your unit's ammeter reads high like mine did?

I keep hearing opposing points of view about that, same as I do with cross posting vs. duplicated separate posts.

I can see some merit to both sides of those two debates.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Screw you. Post right - don't make other people compensate for your own shortcomings.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:51:06 +0000, Rich Grise Has Frothed:

Show RFC where quoting is a shortcoming. It's up to the individual to skip over or mute quoted content.

Go f*ck yourself.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

*plonk*

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Consider the blind - who listen to Usenet. They have to wade through a mountain of crap to hear one line - or sometimes none.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

RFC 1855, "Netiquette Guidelines",

Section 3: One-to-many communication (mailing lists, netnews), 3.1 User guidelines 3.1.1 General Guidelines for mailing lists and NetNews [bullet 10]: If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context. This will make sure readers understand when they start to read your response. Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a response to a message before seeing the original. Giving context helps everyone. But do not include the entire original! I take this as saying that quoting, when used in moderation to carry forward the essential context of a thread, is Good, and that when used to excess (quoting the entire original, or the whole thread), is Bad.

Dave Platt

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:53:00 +0000, Dave Platt Has Frothed:

Right in moderation is the key.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Give my regards to the Nestene Consciousness.

-- ________________________________________________________________________ Hail Eris! TM#5; COOSN-029-06-71069 Cardinal Snarky of the Fannish Inquisition

No one expects the Fannish Inquisition!
"Etymology: Argumentum ad Septicus : argument to putrefaction. Derived from Septicum Argumentum : putrefaction of argument.

"Septic \\Sep"tic\\, Septical \\Sep"tic*al\\ a. [L. septicus to make putrid: cf. F. septique.] Having power to promote putrefaction. Of or relating to or caused by putrefaction." -- Kadaitcha Man, indirectly to Donald "Skeptic"/"Septic" Alford, in MID:

"I never fail to be amazing" -- Looney Maroon for September 2006 nominee William Barwell's ego knows no bounds. MID: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com

"We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play." -- Heraclitus

"And thats another mistake on your part. Your 'playing' games on usenet, and I'm not playing...It has nothing to do with impressing you, it has more to do with making sure you have the education you'll need to debate. The debate is no fun for me if you are mentally incapable of it. I'm giving you an opportunity to educate yourself. That's all." -- A trashy former virus-writer turned Outer Filth doesn't know if he's playing or working, in MID:

Reply to
The Demon Prince of Absurdity

Consider your killfile.

[...]

"The Demon Prince of Absurdity" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@hell.corn...

If I kill-filed everyone who was too clueless to post correctly it would be a lonely place.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well, you could always try realising that usenet's meant for laughs. "Serious discussion" is a waste of bandwidth.;-{P}

-- ________________________________________________________________________ Hail Eris! mhm 29x21; TM#5; COOSN-029-06-71069 The God of Odd Statements, the Ugliest Pigfucker In The Universe Stupidity Takes Its Toll. Please Have Exact Change. Thread where outing begins:

George Pickett Memorial Trophy, Special Ops Cody Memorial Purple Heart, and the Order of the Holey Sockpuppet winner on outing personal contact info in x-poasted subject lines: "Plenty of people post under their real names and do not attempt to hide their contact info. You are scared of being 'outed' because you are a pathological abuser of usenet, and people rightly despise you for it. You're afraid of being reported to the authorities or, better, visited by a couple of guys with baseball bats. Other people don't have this obsessive fear. Ward Hardman himself has posted plenty of personal information - nothing that anyone else added was hidden in any way. You're so f****ng scared you've built up this whole sick mythology about different categories of bad dudes who 'out' scum like you.

"Meanwhile you are the ugliest pigfucker in the universe. You are the coward without ethics. You call me a 'newbie' - ha! what an asshole you are. Those who want to remain anonymous do so. There is absolutely no way you could identify me, not unless you had the sort of subpoena power that only gets turned on for big-time terrorists. That's because I chose to be anonymous. Some people don't. Only really stupid dicks like you choose the sort of semi-anonymity which leaves you in constant fear.

"What a dickless wonder you are 'Snarky' you fat asshole."

-- in MID:

Reply to
Demon Lord of Confusion

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:23:07 +0000, Homer J Simpson Has Frothed:

Pretty good reason then not to piss and moan about it right?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:30:31 +0100, Tim Auton Has Frothed:

*ploink*

Meat

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

The Demon Prince of Absurdity wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hell.corn:

Likewise. >:)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

--
So we should all carry white canes?
Reply to

if you want it to read right, remove a turn or 2 on the coil. Not sure if I'd bother though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But it's still worth reminding folk to snip. Try being on a mail list where someone replies to a 50 message digest - and adds nothing to the glop.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson